Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Buying a house. Which choice would you go with? poll

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Choice A-super high pressure, excellent schools that yields success. But high pressure could be bad also; high home prices. (but we would do this only to insure great education for our kids) Choice B- very good schools, better home prices.

Options:

Choice A

Choice B

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 94

View Results

Choice A- very nice area which means higher prices for average-nice homes, in the city which is what we like, very close to dh's job, very competitive public schools with wealthy kids and much pressure to achieve (so much pressure that it worries my how this will effect our kids if they don't fit in).

Choice B- suburb (not in city) which is okay with us but we like city better, average home price for great homes, further drive to dh's work, excellent public schools and more laid back competition between students than choice A, but so not as much pressure to succeed which could mean less chance of going to college.

juggling

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I think as long as the schools are good, your kids will get out of it what you and they put in. Take a cheaper average how instead and pay it off a lot sooner. You'll spend more in gas, but that's the only disadvantage to me. Kids will want to go to college if you encourage them, more likely than not. B all the way!

AdamsWife88
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM

my children will be 3 and 5 this year and my currently 4 year old is enrolled in private school. it's been excellent for her. i did a lot of research on greatschools.com and made sure the ratings were 5 stars, maybe i'm in the wrong but i want the very best school for my child with very low student to teacher ratios 

taKENheart
by Flovely on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I said A because you like it better.  Do you have past experience with the school district to know it is the school and not the parents that are pressuring the kids so hard to excel?

mommaslilmen
by Kimmy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM
If the school doesn't challenge them, then the parent should. Doors to learning are not just at school
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

B

Due9
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

12 minutes (city) versus 45 minutes (burbs)

Quoting terpmama:

How mich of a commute difference?

juggling

Sunshine201
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would choose B...... I have chosen A and sometimes I wonder if B would have been the better choice for us... the schools are awesome.. my kids are getting top notch education...but home prices/taxes are killing us!!

Due9
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM

That's what I am worried about, even though I love the city life and culture. We would pay high price for a "normal", older but remodeled home versus paying a lower price for a newer, larger home in the burbs. The thing is, we love the city and the schools in this district are VERY good. They are better than alot of private schools.

Quoting Sunshine201:

I would choose B...... I have chosen A and sometimes I wonder if B would have been the better choice for us... the schools are awesome.. my kids are getting top notch education...but home prices/taxes are killing us!!

juggling

Yellowlily333
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would choose the suburb. They tend to be safer also. Plus, I think more down to earth people live in the suburbs than the city (exceptions of course). I think your kids would prob form better friendships/social skills in the suburbs. So that coupled with good schools, seems like the better choice.

LexRi0709
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I prefer the burbs, so for me it would be "B". I prefer the bigger home for the same/better price, bigger lot/yard etc. School is what you make of it in some respect. As long as its a decent school, you can supplement if your child/ren are doing better in certain areas. As far as colleges, they don't always look for the school name. They look for the grades. If your kids can thrive in a high pressure environment then go for option "A". If not, go for option "B".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)