Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Deli question

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM
  • 25 Replies
Went to deli today and bought husband a pound of turkey.for his lunches.i went to put meat in fridge and the ziploc that it was packed in said sell by january 18.does that mean it will gp bad by tommorrow?can I freeze it in sepe ra te thr meats by lunch days next week and freeze and thaw out when I need it or will it go bad by end of week?thank you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Are you sure that isn't the date it was cut on?  

Was it pre packaged or was it fresh?  Either way I would take it back.

LEMONS
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Fresh
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Yes,  it will go bad on that date but you can freeze it to make it stretch longer. It's usually still fresh a day or two after the sell by date,  that is the date that they will mark things down a certain % but they do still sell it.

IndianaWynette
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I would take it back!!

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Take it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Maybe the ticket is wrong? I'd think that before I thought that freshly sliced deli meat was going bad the day after purchase.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I would take it back with your receipt to show you just bought it andhave them replace it. Could've just been a mistake on the ticket but better safe than sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM

At our deli, the date on it is the day it was freshly cut and you bought it.  You have approximately a week after that before it would go bad.  Also, yes, you can absolutely freeze deli meat to make it stretch.  Perfectly safe and in my opinion, doesn't affect the taste or texture.

ETA:  I just  noticed yours says "sell by."  Hmm.  Maybe call the deli and find out.  Although sell by and use by are different labels and they mean different things.  You can even google the difference. 

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I used to work in a deli and the tag would always have the day is was sliced on, if it was prepacked... that would be another story.  If he is going to use it, just make sure to check it each day (sliminess and smell)- it most likely will be fine depending how long he takes to use it up.

my_babies_n_me
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I know when we get deli meats, the sell by date is the date that we bought it. You typically have a week after the date to use it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)