Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Went to deli today and bought husband a pound of turkey.for his lunches.i went to put meat in fridge and the ziploc that it was packed in said sell by january 18.does that mean it will gp bad by tommorrow?can I freeze it in sepe ra te thr meats by lunch days next week and freeze and thaw out when I need it or will it go bad by end of week?thank you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM

the date on deli meat is the day it was CUT, not the expiration. Depending on the meat, you have 1-3 weeks to use it. Wet meats such as turkey and chicken I allow 1 week in fridge or freeze right away. Med meats like roast beef...about a week and a half. nd hard meats such as salami and pepperoni have a 3 week fridge time

Lilypie Maternity tickers
MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I work in a deli. Give the meat seven days from the day it was cut.
MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM
21 days for cheese aswell
The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Honestly, unless the meat has an odd texture, smell or taste to it I would not even pay attention to it. The sell by date could just be for the workers. They could have a policy where they can't sell already sliced deli meat after the date of slicing.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

That was the day it was packed.  Deli meat never comes w/an expiration date.  Okay you know you are saying you went TODAY and today is the 18th, you also know the expiration date is today not tomorrow.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM
All my deli meat have a cut date and a use by date.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

That was the day it was packed.  Deli meat never comes w/an expiration date.  Okay you know you are saying you went TODAY and today is the 18th, you also know the expiration date is today not tomorrow.

rosaleeandtwo
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Its the "sell by" date. They expect that people aren't going to eat everything the same day u buy it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelley123
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM
That is a sell by date because once meat is sliced it must be sold that day. You have a week from the day it is sliced to use it at home. I worked in a Walmart deli.
cryssi_renee
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM

It's a sell by date not an expiration date. It should be good for at least a week. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting IndianaWynette:

I would take it back!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)