Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am new and have a question regarding my tax returns this year.

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM
  • 10 Replies
My name is megan and im 21. I have a two year old son and a fiance. I was wondering if i should claim my fiance as well as my son on my taxes. He has made less than 3000 dollars this year and i barely worked this year. I worked more than him but not by much. It has just been a really bad year for us. We were living in alabama and there were no jobs available, we got out vehicle reposessed, my two year old's father hasnt paid child support yet (we are in the process of getting it now), and we got evicted. I was pregnant and was trapped in the situation that we could not afford to care for another child, so we were relocated out here through an adoption agency and placed him with a loving family on november 19, 2012. So my question is would it make much of a difference if i claimed him or would it be too much of a hassle to do that and not get much back...? He is also worried that if i do that then would it give him problems filing his own taxes next year. Please give me as much information about it as possible and maybe an estimate would he nice....thanks for taking the time to read.
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Is he disabled?? If you barely worked last year, how did you "provide for more than 50% of his expenses" throughout the year?? (That's one of the rules for it).
Idk. I'm doing it next year for my fiance but he IS disabled and that's why he's not working. I AM paying for everything...if yours worked, he needs to file his own taxes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM
This, there are rules regarding it. If he just didn't work enough then he needs to decide whether or not to file and do so. Don't claim him.

Quoting JustMe0326:

Is he disabled?? If you barely worked last year, how did you "provide for more than 50% of his expenses" throughout the year?? (That's one of the rules for it).

Idk. I'm doing it next year for my fiance but he IS disabled and that's why he's not working. I AM paying for everything...if yours worked, he needs to file his own taxes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

welcome to cafemomHello and Welcome!

Please make yourself at home here!:)

I'm not sure what to suggest about your taxes but you may want to also post your question on these groups - click on the pictures below...

***Check out The Marketplace!***

oboe_chik
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM
you cant claim him on your taxes because you arent related to him...go to irs.gov search dependant test and click the first link scroll down to the relationship test and you can see what qualifies and what doesnt. He also cant claim your kid for the same reason so if you provided over 50% of the household expenses you can claim hoh since you have a child (but if you made less than 3k be prepared to prove it in an audit). My guess is youll both be filing as single.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bax
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM

What did you do about the money remaining for the loan on the repossessed car?  Did you settle with the bank for a lower amount?  Did the bank resell the vehicle?  

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

You can't claim him as a dependent.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You cant claim him as a dependent.

megan91
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Quoting Bax:

What did you do about the money remaining for the loan on the repossessed car?  Did you settle with the bank for a lower amount?  Did the bank resell the vehicle?  

i have no idea on what happened. i leased it in tn...then moved to alabama. they came and towed it away and from there moved to utah. havent heard from them so im guessing they sold it. does that mran that i wont be getting any tax return this year? Do i still have to pay it off. i ignored it because i couldnt afford it. i lost my job after i leased it and couldnt find work quick enough to catch up on the payments until they reposessed it...
shadenn766
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM
2 moms liked this

call the i.r.s., or a tax consultant

MaryLu86
by Mary on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:25 AM
1 mom liked this
You really need to talk with a tax professional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)