Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

need serious help, I need to know some current events topics!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

so I am running for Mrs. Idaho, I was just informed that our director isn't writing the questions! The judges are writing all the questions and I am going to have to update myself on some political events. I will be honest, I try to keep my head out of a lot of the news because I have a hard time when the news is telling all the crap just to get credits etc. I just try to stay away from the negativity. However there are things out there that we do need to know about. Can you all help me by bringing up topics that are really big right now? health care, current news/events  politics issues I can decide how i feel on..etc and if you even want to go as far as giving it to me in question format i would LOOOVE it! thanks gals! HUGS

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waffa
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM

cnn.com

nbcnews.com

watch world news on tv

dang woman, how can you be running for a pagent thing and NOT be abreast of current events; what are you an ostrich?

Gina1109
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Just start watching now.. but I would say the #1 topic right now is gun control. That and the economy ( taxes mainly).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I know right? Honestly, the Mrs. pageants are not as heavily saturated wit hcurrent event issues. Ithink they have made it that way because our main focus is our husbands, kids and platforms. We are representing the married women and they tend to not focus so heavily on the politics usually. I just want to be extra prepared :)

Quoting waffa:

cnn.com

nbcnews.com

watch world news on tv

dang woman, how can you be running for a pagent thing and NOT be abreast of current events; what are you an ostrich?

waffa
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM

what? see highlighted below in your response...

damn, this just reinforces my hatred of pageants all around; nothing but hairspray, ass, and fluff.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

I know right? Honestly, the Mrs. pageants are not as heavily saturated wit hcurrent event issues. Ithink they have made it that way because our main focus is our husbands, kids and platforms. We are representing the married women and they tend to not focus so heavily on the politics usually. I just want to be extra prepared :)

Quoting waffa:

cnn.com

nbcnews.com

watch world news on tv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I will say I am SUPER against pageants for kids, I think it teaches all the wrong things.  I also think pageants are pointless if it is not platform based. I do NOT believe looks are what get you anywhere, but I also don't believe there are any ugly women, just lazy ones. Beauty truly comes from the inside out and being able to show confidence in yourself is a big part of pageant. Talk about a true test of believeing in yourself, when you have to get on stage in swimwear and be onTV!  I have only done one other pageant but it's an awesome way to meet a lot of women, out to be positive changemakers.But why would you have seeing someone represent the married women or mothers of your state? There is nothing shallow about that at all! Strong families will build strong countries and that's a fact. Naturally there are a few things we need to be aware of in media, but I just don't make time to watch TV. Maybe once or twice a month I will sit and watch tv but it's just not a part of my life routene.  Everyones reason for doing pageant is different, for me it brings attention to my youth motivational speaking program and after 3 kids I get a free personal trainer 5 days a week to get into GREAT shape REALLY fast! What mom doesn't want that! Those are my reasons I personally do it.

But why all the hatred? We are all different, and we should't make each other wrong for things, especially ones we don't understand. I didn't understand pageant until I did one. It changed my life for the better!

Quoting waffa:

damn, this just reinforces my hatred of pageants all around; nothing but hairspray, ass, and fluff.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting waffa:

cnn.com

nbcnews.com

watch world news on tv

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

waffa
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM

You write an eloquente paragraph in defense of yourself and your reasons, yet ask for help in current events? You're obviously an educated woman, so how about you educate yourself in the world around you before signing up for any pageant(s) to promote your 'platforms'.

yeah?

no hatred here, just smh

Quoting strawberryLVR:

I will say I am SUPER against pageants for kids, I think it teaches all the wrong things.  I also think pageants are pointless if it is not platform based. I do NOT believe looks are what get you anywhere, but I also don't believe there are any ugly women, just lazy ones. Beauty truly comes from the inside out and being able to show confidence in yourself is a big part of pageant. Talk about a true test of believeing in yourself, when you have to get on stage in swimwear and be onTV!  I have only done one other pageant but it's an awesome way to meet a lot of women, out to be positive changemakers.But why would you have seeing someone represent the married women or mothers of your state? There is nothing shallow about that at all! Strong families will build strong countries and that's a fact. Naturally there are a few things we need to be aware of in media, but I just don't make time to watch TV. Maybe once or twice a month I will sit and watch tv but it's just not a part of my life routene.  Everyones reason for doing pageant is different, for me it brings attention to my youth motivational speaking program and after 3 kids I get a free personal trainer 5 days a week to get into GREAT shape REALLY fast! What mom doesn't want that! Those are my reasons I personally do it.

But why all the hatred? We are all different, and we should't make each other wrong for things, especially ones we don't understand. I didn't understand pageant until I did one. It changed my life for the better!

Quoting waffa:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting waffa:

cnn.com

nbcnews.com

watch world news on tv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM
BBC News.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM

BUMP!

Bax
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you believe gun control is the way to deter violent school shootings.

Do you believe our country would be better served with a national healthcare system?

Many say recent devistating storms like hurricane Sandy are a direct result of climate change.  What changes would you make to get America to be a "greener" nation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)