Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
It's a dumb one....
Pink eye is that something to go to a dr for?

ETA: ER or just wait until morning?
I was thinking just wait and go to the dr in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Replies (61-64):
susieQ680
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM

go to the doctor in the morn My son just got over that then he gave it to me

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Pinkeye is not an emergency...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

agreed. I worked in a hospital for 11 yrs. i know what rediculesness goes on in these places.lol

Quoting Barronbaby:

You can disagree, but many will disagree with you and er staff will be annoyed over waisted time for pink eye

Quoting Buggy979:

My opinion and I can disagree. You may not and that's ok too

Quoting Barronbaby:

Its not er worthy. Gash in kids head is. Unable to keep even fluids down is er worthy. High fevers that do no respond to tylonal or motrin is er worthy. Chest pains, unable to breathe, massive allergic reaction is er worthy. Pink eye is not and will never be er worthy. A trip to the dr if you want or a walk in clinic. But not er worthy

Quoting Buggy979:

I disagree...

Quoting Barronbaby:

Pink eye is not er worthy. Its not even dr necessary. It will clear up on its own. Drops otc help as well. They recommend kids to be put on the antibiotic drops since it tends to help lessen contagious period. Pink eye is not er worthy

Quoting Buggy979:

You need to stop typing and take your kid to the Dr. Now.. ER is your best net now! Just stop arguing get in the car, oh don't forget your child and go immediately to the ER... .

Quoting arpazia:

Lots of things are contagious that don't require a dr.

A cold is contagious, that wouldn't require a dr.

Quoting Buggy979:

Well if you know its contagious then why are you asking if you should go to the Dr?.

Quoting arpazia:

I know it's contagious. I didn't know if there was some OTC drops, I didn't want to go dr to the dr like some dumbass! Lol

Quoting Buggy979:

Yes, yes yes.. highly contagious

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
MessedUpMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

From WebMD (a site recommended by my Dr.) :

Viral pinkeye

Viral pinkeye is often caused by an adenovirus, which is a common respiratory virus that can also cause a sore throat or upper respiratory infection. The herpes virus can also cause viral pinkeye.

Symptoms of viral pinkeye include:

• Redness in the white of the eye.
  • Swelling of the eyelids.
  • Itching or burning feeling of the eyelids.
  • Swollen and tender areas in front of the ears.
  • A lot of tearing.
  • Clear or slightly thick, whitish drainage.

Viral pinkeye symptoms usually last 5 to 7 days but may last up to 3 weeks and can become ongoing or chronic.

Pinkeye may be more serious if you:

• Have a condition that decreases your body's ability to fight infection (impaired immune system).
  • Have vision in only one eye.
  • Wear contact lenses.

If the pinkeye is caused by a virus, the person can usually return to day care, school, or work when symptoms begin to improve, typically in 3 to 5 days. Medicines are not usually used to treat viral pinkeye, so it is important to prevent the spread of the infection. Pinkeye caused by a herpes virus, which is rare, can be treated with an antiviral medicine. Home treatment of viral pinkeye symptoms can help you feel more comfortable while the infection goes away.

Bacterial pinkeye

An infection may develop when bacteria enter the eye or the area around the eye. Some common infections that cause pinkeye include:

Symptoms of bacterial pinkeye include:

• Redness in the white of the eye.
  • Gray or yellow drainage from the eye. This drainage may cause the eyelashes to stick together.
  • Mild pain.
  • Swelling of the upper eyelid, which may make the lid appear to droop (pseudoptosis).

Bacterial pinkeye may cause more drainage than viral pinkeye. Bacterial infections usually last 7 to 10 days without antibiotic treatment and 2 to 4 days with antibiotic treatment. The person can usually return to day care, school, or work 24 hours after an antibiotic has been started if symptoms have improved. Prescription antibiotic treatment usually kills the bacteria that cause pinkeye.

So it really does depend on what kind of infection it is. I would go to the Dr. Because I'm not sure I could tell which kind it is on my own. I wouldn't go to the ER for a couple of reasons, 1) There are people there who probably need care more urgently than I or my child do in this case. 2) Picking up more germs is easier when you are already sick, and there are lots of germs in the ER. 3) Going to the ER costs quite a bit more, even if your insurance will pay it all, your rates could go up, or you could cause the rates of others to go up. 4) It doesn't seem to be an emergency situation. A wait of a few hours or even a day or so doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)