Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dental help!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM
  • 13 Replies
My 5 year old dd has a space maintainer on a back tooth. She has complained a couple if times the last day or so about it bothering her. Tonight it came loose a little and is making her guns bleed And is painful. My concern is its really loose on the part that is not attached to her tooth, but the part around her tooth seems tight. I'm afraid that it may come off while she's sleeping an she will choke on it. Should I pull it off of her tooth or is it embedded in her gum? It kinda looks embedded in her gum. I'm stressing out and don't know what to do, please help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jess80
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Bump
MeeshMom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM

you should take her to see a dentist asap. do not try to remove it because it can chip the tooth. Call your local ER and ask what to do or call the dentist office and see if he takes pages for emergencies. Usually they have a paging system when the office is closed to leave a message for emergencies. That is a choking hazard.

SissyAnn141
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Quoting MeeshMom:

you should take her to see a dentist asap. do not try to remove it because it can chip the tooth. Call your local ER and ask what to do or call the dentist office and see if he takes pages for emergencies. Usually they have a paging system when the office is closed to leave a message for emergencies. That is a choking hazard.

I agree ....................

jess80
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM
The dentist office doesn't have an emergency number. This makes me rethink who her dentist is. He is great but really needs to have an emergency line. I will call the ER, thanks. I thought of that but wasn't sure if they would help me over the phone. Thank you.
CJsMommy622
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Are these like the spacers used before braces, they look like little staples? If so, I had them in high school before I ot my braces on and had that happen once before. It's painful, I'd call the dentist asap to keep it from becoming more inflamed and infected. I wouldn't necessarily worry about her choking on it because they do fall out, and they wouldn't put them in mouths if it would be a choking hazard. I'd be more concerned with the pain and bleeding!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess80
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM
And of course something like this would happen on the weekend, no one will be in any dentist office around here until Monday.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting MeeshMom:

I agree ....................

jess80
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM
She had a tooth pulled and they put that in to keep the "gap" from being invaded by the surrounding teeth. Yea it kinda looks like a staple....

Quoting CJsMommy622:

Are these like the spacers used before braces, they look like little staples? If so, I had them in high school before I ot my braces on and had that happen once before. It's painful, I'd call the dentist asap to keep it from becoming more inflamed and infected. I wouldn't necessarily worry about her choking on it because they do fall out, and they wouldn't put them in mouths if it would be a choking hazard. I'd be more concerned with the pain and bleeding!
Steph1499
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM

My son had his spacer break off of one tooth so I cut the long part so that just the pieces were attached to the tooth.  So if the long part broke go ahead and cut it off and yes the other part will bother her till you get her in but I suggest orajel or something to help numb it when it does start to bother her.  My dentist said cutting it was good because she had seen lots of parents leave it on but its a chocking hazard if it fully comes off. 

jess80
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM
It wasn't attached to 2 teeth. It is attached to one tooth then it has the long part just extending to the other tooth. The long part is loose and moves up and down but the part around the tooth "seems" to be embedded into her gum but it's hard to tell because she doesn't let me mess with it much. I hope that makes sense, it's hat to explain.

Quoting Steph1499:

My son had his spacer break off of one tooth so I cut the long part so that just the pieces were attached to the tooth.  So if the long part broke go ahead and cut it off and yes the other part will bother her till you get her in but I suggest orajel or something to help numb it when it does start to bother her.  My dentist said cutting it was good because she had seen lots of parents leave it on but its a chocking hazard if it fully comes off. 

jess80
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:11 AM
I replied to you but forgot to quote you , sorry. I called the dentist office and there's no after hours # or an after hours dentist here at all. I did email them but they probably won't check it until Monday ;(
I called the ER but they didnt offer much help. They just said" bring her in if you need to" LOL. Uuugghhh this is so aggravating. SO's truck is messed up so he took my car to work. I guess I will sit up all night checking on her.

Quoting MeeshMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)