Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ABA therapist?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 14 Replies

Is anyone in here an applied behavioral therapist or know someone who is?  I have a Bachelor's of Sociology for the University of Massachusetts Boston and recently found out that they have an ABA graduate certificate program that is 5 courses.  I've been interested in ABA therapy for quite some time and have taken education and special ed classes in the past.  I have a lot of diverse experience and am really thinking about applying for this program. 

Does anyone have any experience or insight?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
No sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yezay
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Thanks for the bump anyway!

Bax
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

There is a developmental pediatrician in this area, ironically born and schooled in Massachusetts, who firmly believes in ABA and is constantly iritated that our area does not have any ABA certified therapists.  Our area never quite caught on to the methodology, I think the ABA is too intensive (therefore costly) for this area.  Other than speaking to this Pediatrican I dont have much knowledge of the program other than that where in our area EI therapy would generally have a maximum of 1 session per week where as ABA wants a minimum of 3 and prefers 4 sessions a week.  The theory of most therapists in our area is that more does not necessarily mean better but.... again since Pennsylvania has a state entitlement program set up, this may be due soley to the cost factor.

yezay
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

bump

yezay
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM

ABA therapist is proven to be the most affective at least here in Massachusetts.  My son received ABA therapy services for 1 hour a week in our home and it was life changing.  We caught on so quickly and since I have first hand experience I thought why not look into it.  I'm just wondering what the financial outcome would look like.  As a parent we have to think of what we want to do and how it's going to affect the family lol.

Quoting Bax:

There is a developmental pediatrician in this area, ironically born and schooled in Massachusetts, who firmly believes in ABA and is constantly iritated that our area does not have any ABA certified therapists.  Our area never quite caught on to the methodology, I think the ABA is too intensive (therefore costly) for this area.  Other than speaking to this Pediatrican I dont have much knowledge of the program other than that where in our area EI therapy would generally have a maximum of 1 session per week where as ABA wants a minimum of 3 and prefers 4 sessions a week.  The theory of most therapists in our area is that more does not necessarily mean better but.... again since Pennsylvania has a state entitlement program set up, this may be due soley to the cost factor.

veggiemum123
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Waiting for more replies...

yezay
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

So I'm talking to an old ABA friend of mine and they're saying the better route is probably masters but I just don't know if I have what it takes right now to commit to a masters program.

yezay
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Bump!  Of does anyone else have any suggestions of what I can do to set myself apart when trying to apply for jobs.  It seems as though now a days just having a bachelors in something isn't enough.

Bax
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I agree.

So I'm talking to an old ABA friend of mine and they're saying the better route is probably masters but I just don't know if I have what it takes right now to commit to a masters program.

MrS.GiFFord
by Brittany on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Bump and good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)