Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Transitional Items

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 24 Replies
Do your kids have one?

Did you try to phase it out? At what age?

My DS is 5, and in kindergarten. He plays sports. I just don't see him needing his blankie on the basketball court with him. I try to phase it out. Like, blankie stays home unless we're going to be gone several hours. Blankie stays in the car. My DH says I'm being cruel to my DS, and if he wants it he can have it all the time.

Just wondering what worked for you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gorilla_Mama
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM
For us it was a bear Molly that had to go everywhere. Dd1 is 5 and still takes her out occasionally but we have the rule Molly stays in the car so she doesn't get dropped and lost. And that's really our reason. There's been a couple times we had to go back because we left Molly before and it causes a meltdown. But otherwise I don't mind her bringing her bear, it doesn't hurt anything.
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I never put limitations on the items (blanket for one daughter, a doll for the other), they eventually relied on them less and less on their own. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have boundaries like that as well so items do not get lost.   I always tell dd that her kitty can guard our car while we run into the store.  During day she tucks her kitty into her bed while she goes to school.   I even get  a schedule of when kitty needs to be held and fed.

kappalopokis
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Okay.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Only had that with DS and his pacifier and that ended at 3. DD never had that issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kappalopokis
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Thanks for weighing in.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Only had that with DS and his pacifier and that ended at 3. DD never had that issue.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM

They are allowed to take there blankets anywhere we go. They are 6 and 4. The rule is, they bring it, they care for it. Eventually they will leave them at home more when they learn whats socially acceptable. And of course they are not allowed to take them to school

kappalopokis
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM
This sounds good!

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

They are allowed to take there blankets anywhere we go. They are 6 and 4. The rule is, they bring it, they care for it. Eventually they will leave them at home more when they learn whats socially acceptable. And of course they are not allowed to take them to school

Bax
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I agree with your husband.

Due9
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM

So far, pacifier with my 1 year old. My son didn't have anything like this. But he does still sleep with stuffed animals at age 11 :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN