Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Please help me save my poor dog

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 24 Replies

I need to change my dogs food due to potential allergies (he broke out in an itchy rash and we think it's related to his food). We've looked for dog food made for sensitive skin and it is SO expensive it's ridiculous. Any suggestions? I might consider just cooking his food, since I cook the rest of the families anyway, but I want to be sure he's getting everything he needs and I can't go spending an arm and a leg. Help!!

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
A lot of dogs have issues with grains. So a grain free food would be a good start.

What foods have you already tried?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Have you tried an elimination diet to figure out what he's reacting to? If it's just one thing you could simply buy a food without that ingredient, and not break the bank...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
My special needs dog eats boiled chicken rice and green beans mixed together. I cook this 2x a week... Works for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Oh or oatmeal instead of rice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wicked.Jester
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Well what is the dog allergic TO?  Whatever he is allergic to, make something else.

mamalusbear
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Canidae...it's reasonably priced.  Do you have a red barn where you live?  They are much cheaper than Petco.

Mama2JoshKatie
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

How would I go about doing an elimination diet?

Quoting LucyMom08:

Have you tried an elimination diet to figure out what he's reacting to? If it's just one thing you could simply buy a food without that ingredient, and not break the bank...

Mama2JoshKatie
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I've never heard of that. I live in Texas. We have Petco and Petsmart. I've never heard of Red Barn. I'll see if any of the stores around here sell it. Or I could order it online. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quoting mamalusbear:

Canidae...it's reasonably priced.  Do you have a red barn where you live?  They are much cheaper than Petco.

Mama2JoshKatie
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I'm considering doing this. Do you have to supplement him with anything else?

Quoting southernbelletx:

My special needs dog eats boiled chicken rice and green beans mixed together. I cook this 2x a week... Works for us.

Mama2JoshKatie
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I don't know yet what he's allergic to.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Well what is the dog allergic TO?  Whatever he is allergic to, make something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)