Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question : bike helmets

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 21 Replies

So I know most people make their kids wear bike helmets on bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, etc... and I do too, but yesterday I took my kids sledding.... that hill is pretty big, you can get going really fast... much faster than my kids ever go on their bikes and not one kid was wearing a helmet.  so my question is this have your kids ever worn a helmet while sledding... has the thought ever crossed your mind. I know it had never crossed mine before yesterday.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

No, I would never have my kids wear a helmet while sledding.  I realize they can go fast, but it's basic safety that you don't have kids going down the hill at the same time, at least no where near one another.  Not to mention, when sledding, one's body is extremely close to the ground (a ground that is somewhat padded due to the snow).  So in my opinion, it's different from flying off of your bike where your body is up in the air and you're falling onto concrete.  I'm sure that a head injury has occurred while sledding as a fluke, but in my entire childhood sledding A LOT (i live in a snowy place) neither I nor any kid I know was every injured in any way while sledding.  Skiing would be a different situation...

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Our hill is teeny, so no helmet in our backyard. I would slap a helmet on them for a hill that big!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I'm just curious

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM

She hasnt been sledding yet but i may think about it.    I never had a helmet for sledding but nor did we have any obstacles that could hurt us.

AngeLnChainZ
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Sledding? whats that?

LOL .. we can't do that around here! But if my son was able to, he would definitely be wearing a helmet!

Fire13Life

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM

If it's a big hill with any chance of them hitting a tree or ending up in the road, yes, they will be wearing a helmet! They're also required to wear one at the local ice skating rink per rink rules. 

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM
We don't get snow here so my kids have never been sledding but they roller skate with no helmets. I actually told hubby that we make them wear helmets when riding bikes ect but let them jump in skates with no helmet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

see that's what I waqs kinda thinking... I mean there were ramps built out of snow on the hill...made me wonder

Quoting LCWAmommy:

We don't get snow here so my kids have never been sledding but they roller skate with no helmets. I actually told hubby that we make them wear helmets when riding bikes ect but let them jump in skates with no helmet

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yes, my kids did.   They wore them snowboarding and sledding.

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

No helmet while sledding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)