Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

did anyone watch this movie?

if so thoughts?

the whole thing makes me sick, and sad. So sad sad sad for that little girl.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (101-107):
AJB163
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Nope. I did watch the Elizabeth Smart movie before it...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shaylyn318
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I tried watching it but it started getting me all upset again. I watched the actual trial and bawled my eyes out when they said not guilty. I was SO sure she would be found guilty. That just tore me apart. I don't normally get that emotionally invested in things that have nothing to do with me but I did with little Caylee. I think it is because my kids were around her age at the time and she kind of looked like my DD.

FrancineSmith
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I'm just not interested in her story at all. I'll probably never watch it.

AMBG825
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM

What you believe and what you can prove are 2 different things. The question remains, is it POSSIBLE that it was something other than premeditated murder? Is it POSSIBLE it was an accidental death - even an accident resulting from neglect abuse?

If you answer "yes it is possible" there is no but. That is why she got acquitted. The standard of law, ESPECIALLY when you're about to put someone to death is 'BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT." If it is reasonable that it was an accident then the jury gave the correct verdict for the charges Anthony was facing. PERIOD.

Just because you believe she did something isn't enough to put someone to death without sufficient proof to back up your belief.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

If it was her father like you are saying then why would casey drive around with her daughter's dead body long enough for it to decompose? She lied countless times about simple things like having a job and a nanny. I wonder where her daughter was every night. She was getting old enough to expose her mother's lies so she killed her. That is what most people believe. If her story was true then wouldn't you call 911 or the police if your daughter died while under her grandpa's care? It does not make any sense at all that it was an accident. She is a sociopath. Just because there was not enough evidence in the jurors' and your opinion to prove beyond a reasonable doubt does not mean a crime was not committed. Killers and other criminals do get away with crimes. I do not believe there was not enough evidence for her to be charged. Many other's that saw the same evidence also would have convicted her. If her story was true, which most people do not believe, then it was not really a tragic accident. Every adult at home that day should have been charged with neglect and covering up a crime. 

Quoting AMBG825:

And they couldn't PROVE neglect. If it was an accident as even the prosecution team initially claimed, that is not neglect. It would be a tragic accident. At the very beginning of the entire circus that was this case, the prosecution stood up and said that they believed it was an accident. The defense claimed it was an accident. The defense then claimed that it was George that was in charge of Kaylee at the time of death. Since there was no way to disprove the theory, it became reasonable doubt of neglect.

Again, the prosecution overreached and sabotaged their own case.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

My point was the jury found her not guilty of neglect. Most people get in trouble even if it is a slap on the wrist when death occurs from not watching a minor child carefully. A body wouldn't feel different until 3 hours or so at least. Maybe in florida it is different but in CA most law enforcement agencies have psych interviews and tests. I don't see how he could have gotten promoted to detective if he was that stupid and had a mental disorder where he couldn't rationally think to report her death. It does not make sense. The mom you mentioned was most likely scared and alone. She probably was ignorant of the law and thought she would go to jail. If she left the baby in the tub alone I am surprised she didn't get charged with something. I could see someone trusting an older child in the tub and getting off with a few parenting classes and grief counseling. 

Quoting AMBG825:

The hilighted below is EXACTLY why Anthony was acquitted. Had the prosecution charged her with manslaughter or even depraved indifference, we would have seen a completely different outcome. But when you have a prosecution that can't even prove that a murder happened because they can't tell you HOW a person died going for the death penalty was overreaching. And when the prosecutions themselves add in reasonable doubt by stating that they believe (initially) it was a case of an accidental death, they blew their own death penalty case. All anthony had to do was admit that it was an accident and BAM! she gets off. All because the prosecutor over charged her. There has NEVER been a case of an accidental death (which the prosecution admitted it very well could have been) and someone getting the death penalty.

and it very well could have happened exactly the way Anthony's defense team claimed. George Anthony was very well aware of what a deceased person looks like, feels like etc. And the whole family is mentally unstable. There is no telling how they would react. It wouldn't be the first time people panicked over an accident and tried to cover it up. Even the woman about a decade ago that accidentally drowned her newborn infant while bathing her then dumped it in a lake by her house after panicking didn't get the death penalty.

In order to prove murder, you have to be able to show HOW person died. The prosecution didn't have even that.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

They could have charged her with neglect.And yes if you have a pool that you do not keep fenced and do not lock your doors you better be watching your child every second. If an accident happens you call 911 so they can administer cpr if you aren't certified as a parent. If it was an accidental drowning then wouldn't a parent or grandparent call 911 right away in a panic because the child might have a chance still since they wouldn't have seen it happen? Every police officer I know has to be cpr certified at the minimum so if the grandpa really was there wouldn't he have administered it while the 911 operators were on the phone sending help? Why wouldn't an accident  be reported? Even if you buy that she was repressed, abused and scared then why did she go on like nothing was wrong and not cry at all? Why did she act like she was having the bess time ever? I know people who have been abused and they stiff feel remorse, empathy and sympathy. They still love their kids and would be crying over them. I personally do not buy that story. 

Quoting AMBG825:

So out of curiosity, if your child drowns in your backyard pool should you get the death penalty?

Quoting hope2bsoon:

I really believe that is a matter of opinion...I think they made their case...and they did it well...I may be taken to the cafe mom chopping block for saying that, but I believe they made a strong case

Quoting quickbooksworm:

They were thinking they had to follow the law and instructions. Blame the prosecution, they failed to make their case.

Quoting southernbelle07:

I just finished watching it. The whole time I was thinking, "what were those jurors thinking?!"

It is so sad. That poor little girl.

AJnEsMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yes I understand about reasoonable doubt. I said it earlier. I just do not have a Reasonable doubt that anything else happened. I think the evidence was suficient as do others. But I am only one person. Maybe my reasoning is flawed as any person's can be at any time. Even the most intelligent person on earth cannot be right all the time. So it is possible that the juror's reasoning was flawed. I do not think the defense provided a reasonable explanation that would plant doubt. Yes the burden is on the prosecution to prove beyond doubt and I think they had enough evidence. It would have been better if they did have more obviously. They would have if the crime had been reported sooner. There was a similar case in CA a couple years back but the police took their time investigating and the mother wasn't a pathological liar. Some cases have more breaks and are easier to understand. She got life. But I think the jury just did not understand the evidence and got distracted by the defense trying to say the scientists were not competent. I do not believe it was possible that it was an accident. It does not make any reasonable sense. They didn't have to go for death if they thought she was guilty but obviously they thought she was innocent. It wasn't the penalty that was the isssue becasue the jury could have chosen a lesser charge. 

Quoting AMBG825:

What you believe and what you can prove are 2 different things. The question remains, is it POSSIBLE that it was something other than premeditated murder? Is it POSSIBLE it was an accidental death - even an accident resulting from neglect abuse?

If you answer "yes it is possible" there is no but. That is why she got acquitted. The standard of law, ESPECIALLY when you're about to put someone to death is 'BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT." If it is reasonable that it was an accident then the jury gave the correct verdict for the charges Anthony was facing. PERIOD.

Just because you believe she did something isn't enough to put someone to death without sufficient proof to back up your belief.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

If it was her father like you are saying then why would casey drive around with her daughter's dead body long enough for it to decompose? She lied countless times about simple things like having a job and a nanny. I wonder where her daughter was every night. She was getting old enough to expose her mother's lies so she killed her. That is what most people believe. If her story was true then wouldn't you call 911 or the police if your daughter died while under her grandpa's care? It does not make any sense at all that it was an accident. She is a sociopath. Just because there was not enough evidence in the jurors' and your opinion to prove beyond a reasonable doubt does not mean a crime was not committed. Killers and other criminals do get away with crimes. I do not believe there was not enough evidence for her to be charged. Many other's that saw the same evidence also would have convicted her. If her story was true, which most people do not believe, then it was not really a tragic accident. Every adult at home that day should have been charged with neglect and covering up a crime. 

Quoting AMBG825:

And they couldn't PROVE neglect. If it was an accident as even the prosecution team initially claimed, that is not neglect. It would be a tragic accident. At the very beginning of the entire circus that was this case, the prosecution stood up and said that they believed it was an accident. The defense claimed it was an accident. The defense then claimed that it was George that was in charge of Kaylee at the time of death. Since there was no way to disprove the theory, it became reasonable doubt of neglect.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

My point was the jury found her not guilty of neglect. Most people get in trouble even if it is a slap on the wrist when death occurs from not watching a minor child carefully. A body wouldn't feel different until 3 hours or so at least. Maybe in florida it is different but in CA most law enforcement agencies have psych interviews and tests. I don't see how he could have gotten promoted to detective if he was that stupid and had a mental disorder where he couldn't rationally think to report her death. It does not make sense. The mom you mentioned was most likely scared and alone. She probably was ignorant of the law and thought she would go to jail. If she left the baby in the tub alone I am surprised she didn't get charged with something. I could see someone trusting an older child in the tub and getting off with a few parenting classes and grief counseling. 

Quoting AMBG825:

The hilighted below is EXACTLY why Anthony was acquitted. Had the prosecution charged her with manslaughter or even depraved indifference, we would have seen a completely different outcome. But when you have a prosecution that can't even prove that a murder happened because they can't tell you HOW a person died going for the death penalty was overreaching. And when the prosecutions themselves add in reasonable doubt by stating that they believe (initially) it was a case of an accidental death, they blew their own death penalty case. All anthony had to do was admit that it was an accident and BAM! she gets off. All because the prosecutor over charged her. There has NEVER been a case of an accidental death (which the prosecution admitted it very well could have been) and someone getting the death penalty.

and it very well could have happened exactly the way Anthony's defense team claimed. George Anthony was very well aware of what a deceased person looks like, feels like etc. And the whole family is mentally unstable. There is no telling how they would react. It wouldn't be the first time people panicked over an accident and tried to cover it up. Even the woman about a decade ago that accidentally drowned her newborn infant while bathing her then dumped it in a lake by her house after panicking didn't get the death penalty.

In order to prove murder, you have to be able to show HOW person died. The prosecution didn't have even that.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

They could have charged her with neglect.And yes if you have a pool that you do not keep fenced and do not lock your doors you better be watching your child every second. If an accident happens you call 911 so they can administer cpr if you aren't certified as a parent. If it was an accidental drowning then wouldn't a parent or grandparent call 911 right away in a panic because the child might have a chance still since they wouldn't have seen it happen? Every police officer I know has to be cpr certified at the minimum so if the grandpa really was there wouldn't he have administered it while the 911 operators were on the phone sending help? Why wouldn't an accident  be reported? Even if you buy that she was repressed, abused and scared then why did she go on like nothing was wrong and not cry at all? Why did she act like she was having the bess time ever? I know people who have been abused and they stiff feel remorse, empathy and sympathy. They still love their kids and would be crying over them. I personally do not buy that story. 

Quoting AMBG825:

So out of curiosity, if your child drowns in your backyard pool should you get the death penalty?

Quoting hope2bsoon:

I really believe that is a matter of opinion...I think they made their case...and they did it well...I may be taken to the cafe mom chopping block for saying that, but I believe they made a strong case

Quoting quickbooksworm:

They were thinking they had to follow the law and instructions. Blame the prosecution, they failed to make their case.

Quoting southernbelle07:

I just finished watching it. The whole time I was thinking, "what were those jurors thinking?!"

AMBG825
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You're right. Sometimes intelligent people can be wrong. Now I might be wrong, but the prosecution couldn't even tell anyone HOW Kaylee died. Without knowing how she died, there is no way to say she was murdered. And I could be wrong but I think the mutiple theories the prosecution put out as to what happened OTHER than premeditated murder were pretty reasonable. Even they believed it was an accident for a while. Now if the prosecutor comes out and says he thinks it was an accident, that would tell intelligent people that it's possible that it wasn't premeditated murder.

Now we can change our legal system to say that if your child dies accidentally then the parents can be put to death. But I don't see intelligent people supporting that change.

Quoting AJnEsMama:

Yes I understand about reasoonable doubt. I said it earlier. I just do not have a Reasonable doubt that anything else happened. I think the evidence was suficient as do others. But I am only one person. Maybe my reasoning is flawed as any person's can be at any time. Even the most intelligent person on earth cannot be right all the time. So it is possible that the juror's reasoning was flawed. I do not think the defense provided a reasonable explanation that would plant doubt. Yes the burden is on the prosecution to prove beyond doubt and I think they had enough evidence. It would have been better if they did have more obviously. They would have if the crime had been reported sooner. There was a similar case in CA a couple years back but the police took their time investigating and the mother wasn't a pathological liar. Some cases have more breaks and are easier to understand. She got life. But I think the jury just did not understand the evidence and got distracted by the defense trying to say the scientists were not competent. I do not believe it was possible that it was an accident. It does not make any reasonable sense. They didn't have to go for death if they thought she was guilty but obviously they thought she was innocent. It wasn't the penalty that was the isssue becasue the jury could have chosen a lesser charge. 

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting AJnEsMama:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting AJnEsMama:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting AJnEsMama:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting hope2bsoon:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting southernbelle07:

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I agree and I hate that they came from my neck of the woods in Pinellas Co-they all much be stupid.

Quoting southernbelle07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN