Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The documentary Food Matters

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

Have you seen it? I watched it last night. It is really interesting and informative. It sheds some light on how little medical doctors know, or care, about nutrition and how much what you eat really does make a difference.

If you have seen it, what did you think?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cassi_d_m
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't seen it but would like to :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Hmm, not surprised. My sisters and mother read up on nutrition and you may be a bit disgusted by some of the stuff we eat. Doctors are always pushing milk, but...after you do a bit of research, you may not be so sure.
Due9
by your-bff on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I think it's interesting. I haven't watched it but I did watch another documentary similar to it. I will put it on my list to watch. I love documentaries!

Also, alot of seasoned medical doctors are burned out with their job and deal with ALOT more than people think, or can even imagine. They are so overworked and I don't believe in bashing them.  However, I do believe some can benefit from learning more about nutrition.

Ultimately, we are all responsible for our own health and should educate ourselves if we care to.

juggling

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Quoting Due9:

I think it's interesting. I haven't watched it but I did watch another documentary similar to it. I will put it on my list to watch. I love documentaries!

Also, alot of seasoned medical doctors are burned out with their job and deal with ALOT more than people think, or can even imagine. They are so overworked and I don't believe in bashing them.  However, I do believe some can benefit from learning more about nutrition.

Ultimately, we are all responsible for our own health and should educate ourselves if we care to.

Oh no, not bashing them. It is just a fact that they are not taught about the benefits of raw foods and vitamins. Pharmaceutical companies are in tight with medical schools in this country. There is a great deal of emphasis on what pill to take rather than teaching medical students what foods are really beneficial and about the use of vitamins to cure diseases. They talked about patients with cancer that decided to forgo conventional chemo and instead do intravenous treatments of massive doses of vitamin C, completely safe with no side effects. In many cases, the cancer shrunk if not went away. We don't hear it though because it isn't profitable. They talk about huge amounts of studies proving how beneficial diet and vitamins are in preventing and curing cancer and the American Medical Association will not publish the information in the medical journals.

It is kind of sad how quick doctors are to prescribe chemical drugs with dangerous side effects but I have heard more than one doctor say that too many vitamins can be dangerous. The doctor in the documentary said that there are about 160,000 documented deaths every year in the US from prescription drugs. Not overdoses, but people taking them exactly as prescribed. Yet, there have been about 50 deaths over the past ten years supposedly from vitamins, and they are undocumented. So that is more than one and a half million deaths from prescription drugs compared to fifty deaths from vitamins.

There was a lot of info in the film. They give modern medicine a lot of credit in other areas, just not when it comes to health benefits and natural treatments using nutrition and vitamins.

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Thoughtfulmommy:

Hmm, not surprised. My sisters and mother read up on nutrition and you may be a bit disgusted by some of the stuff we eat. Doctors are always pushing milk, but...after you do a bit of research, you may not be so sure.

My friend's child was sick all the time from milk. It wasn't even an allergy. Raw milk is actually pretty good for you but the FDA raids farms that sell raw milk and dump it like it is toxic. Apparently, milk from cows loaded with hormones, antibiotics, that live in cramped filth, and have whatever might have been good for you in their milk processed out, is much better for us, according to the FDA.

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Was it on cable? Where did you see it?

CrystalPystol
by Ms. Hotwheels on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM
It's on Netflix

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Thanks! I don' t use Netflix, but they might have it on Amazon Prime. I'll check. :)

Quoting CrystalPystol:

It's on Netflix

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

DH bought the dvd because he is an environmental teacher and wanted to show it to his class. There might be somewhere to watch it online for free though. Sometimes Hulu has free documentaries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)