Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

For the people who are allergic to cats , but still have them..question!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 13 Replies

Who deals with the kitty litter?

I am allergic to cats ...however my other half has a cat that often stays here when the other half is here for a long period of time (it saves from going back and forth just for the cat lol).

Which i don't mind , and she doesn't bug my allergies too much...i have two triggers, 1. when the cat sleeps beside me during the night (thankfully it was easy to train her not to go on my bed) , 2. the kitty litter...when it get's bad enough.

I had to change the kitty litter last night , because i had been asking him to please change it ..and i love him...but i kept getting the ' yep...ill get to it' ..

I had already woken up to allergies yesterday morning due to the kitty litter , so i decided to just do it myself....and OMG..my allergies went into full force! 

So yea , i guess im wondering for the people that are allergic to cats but still own them...do you do the kitty litter or is that someone else's job in the household?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Technically, the cats are the kids' cats, but the deal was that I would change the litter. I just found out that I'm allergic to them last year ( had the cats for 6 and 3 years respectively) and I still change the litter. I get allergy shots every 2 weeks for my allergies. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Invest or make him invest in a self cleaning litter box!!! My daughter is allergic and its her cat lol long story... I bought one that she just empties the tub once a week and no smells or anything!!! It doesn't bother her to change it either which is a plus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mummaluvshrbbs6
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM

We have several cats and I am allergic. When I need to do the box when dh is not here I use a painters mask or a contractors dust mask you can buy them at walmart, lowes, home depot, or any hardware store fairly cheap. It keeps the particles from entering into your lungs. Good luck!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM

My guy does.  He is allergic and keeps the allergies under control by a pill.  He started changing it while i was pregnant and the habit just stuck.  He has a certain way of doing it to his satisfaction.

crazymom21
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Old western style! Bandana over face and just for fun a cowboy hat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WebCat
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM

This system

http://www.breezeforcats.com/

if you can get the cat to use it. I can't do the litter box. I react strongly and when I had the old style I'd have to clean it immediately and then spray it down with febreze to keep the dust down. 

With the "Breeze" system there's no litter and no smell either. 

devilkitty
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I am allergic and I have cats. I use a litter I get at Walmart called Mimi litter. It is blue and white crystals and it is AMAZING!! When I was in my apartment, I had two cats. My landlord came over one day and was shocked to find out that I had them when one came out by her (yes it was a pet friendly building). She said that it did not smell like we had any animals. I now have 4 cats and you can't smell the box even on a bad day.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We dont have cats, but DH is very allergic, although they had cats when he was younger. His allergies got progressively worse as an adult.

And yes, depending on the cat, and how "clean" people keep their home and their litter box, the more "cat smell" a house had the worst it would be.

One girl we knew was especially vile in her cat ownership. her whole house smelled of cat pee, he once took a present over there, for her to give someone on my behalf at a shower I couldn't attend and he stood otuside at the door way for about 20 seconds. literally Hi, here ya go, see ya later.. and his face was so swollen he couldn't drive away for like 10 mins until his allergies calmed down.

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM
DS is the one allergic, so he didn't do the cat box.
You know cats shouldn't be switching homes like that right? To where to cat is going back and forth all the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Two_Hearts
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

yea ...i dont see the cat going back and forth lol, she seems quite comfortable here ..so even when he is at home , she will most likely stay here with me and DD lol.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

DS is the one allergic, so he didn't do the cat box.
You know cats shouldn't be switching homes like that right? To where to cat is going back and forth all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN