Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small Baby??

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:39 AM
  • 16 Replies
So yesterday I took my 5 month old to the Dr for his second round of immunizations. After weighing and measuring him, the Dr comes in and can't stop looking at his chart and at him. Then she reweighs him, and remeasures him, and looks as me and tells me he's too small!
 My boy was born a very healthy 8 pound 11 ounce baby, and was 20 3/4 inches long. And yesterday he measured in at 25 inches long, and 13 pounds 9 ounces. Dr says based on his big birth size he should be a lot bigger by now!  She said he was in the 10th percentile on the growth chart. 

Is there anyone else that's been told this?  I thought it was kind of rediculous.  The Dr kept asking me all these questions about how much and how often I feed him.... And all I can think about are these breasts that are aching from how often this kid nurses! 

I look at my son, and sure he's a scrawny little thing... he just barely is starting to fit in the 3-6 mo clothes, and almost all his clothes practically hang off his tiny shoulders, and I have to fold over the waistbands on all his pants.... But he is constantly smiling and laughing, like he is the happiest person alive! 

So I guess what I'm wondering is, Is it really that bad to have a skinny baby?  All the babies you see in ads and diaper packages are all chubby with cute little son doesn't have a single roll on his body!! 

Is he really that abnormal like the Dr makes it sound?  Or is it just that he is his own person?  Can't babies have different body types like us "grown-ups" do??
Is my baby unhealthy???

by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:48 AM
Did the doctor come to a conclusion about it, or just leave you hanging?  Seems like he left you hanging, since you're upset.  He was asking those questions to rule things out.  Babies do come in all shapes and sizes, but they have to make sure there are no other reasons.  If there's something wrong, I'm sure you want to know so it can be fixed.  Or they will rule everything out and you will have the comfort of knowing that he's perfectly healthy despite his smallness.  I wish the doctor would have told you something instead of just freaking you out.  Some doctors can be a little insensitive.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:54 AM
hey jessibell, try not to worry overmuch. if your son is nursing, that is the best thing for him. some babies do grow more slowly, and others grow fast. as long as you and your babys dad make sure that he is physically ok, and he is putting on weight, (even a small amount is better than losing weight) there is no reason to worry. 
ask your doctor if he is worried that a health problem is causing your baby not to put on weight. sometime the thyroid doesnt work right and it can either make a person burn energy or not burn enough energy. talk to your doctor, and if they dont give you the information you feel comfortable with, try another doctor. most likely, your son just burns energy faster than most babies and in time this will straighten itself out.
try not to lose too much sleep over it. sounds like you are on top of things and taking good care of your child. some doctors are just weird. when my children were young, one nurse told me my child was too heavy, and within a year, she had straightened out and was at a more 'normal' weight (at least acceptable to that stupid nurse)

constance kay
by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:55 AM
My Sister's Boys are the same way, they are just petite, her Husband has a smal frame and is thin, it has alot to do with genetics as well, I have a opposite problem, my guy is huge! At his last weigh in he was in the 99% for both height and weight, when we was 5 months old he was the size of an average 1 year old! They all come in different packages.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:03 AM
The doctor said the same thing when I took my child in.  My son just turned one, and he has had no difficulties what so ever.  The doctor did the same thing to me, weighed and measured, weighed and measured and said those same words.  I took my son to a different doctor and I have not heard another word about it since.  The doctor even wanted my son, then 3 or 4 months old, to be tested for thyroid.  I told him he was crazy and left.  I just had an appointment today, and my son only weighs 19 lbs. 1 oz. and is 28 1/4 in long.  He's one! and he's tiny! BUT he's normal for his height.  If you and the father of the baby are small set people, your child will be also.  Once I told them my husband is 5'2 and I'm about 5'1 they said he was perfect.  As long as your child has doubled their weight by 6 months they are fine.  If you don't trust the doctor...get another one.  I did and couldn't be happier!  You're child is fine!  You are doing everything right.  Good job for being worried too...cause I was in the same shoes!  Everything will be okay! :)
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:04 AM
Well my baby IS very active... he is constantly moving around and kicking his legs and what-not... every one compares him to my sister's baby... her baby is 4 days younger, and yet HE is huge, and wears one year old clothes.... The Dr didn't say anything about any underlying health problems.... But she made me feel like I was doing something wrong.  She kept asking over and over how much I nursed him.... And then she seemed annoyed about how much the baby slept without eating, since he sleeps through the night now!!  But I thought that's the day us moms looked forward to!!!
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:43 AM
I feel you here. My daughter is almost 11 months old and is only 15 lbs. she's absolutely tiny. but her main thing is it's genetics, half of my family is incredibly tall and then the other half is incredibly short (how the 2 got together i'll never know) My son is a very tall little boy and my daughter is tiny! like she's just now getting into 6 - 9 month clothes. She was sick  A LOT this winter and so evertime we thought she was actually going to start gaining weight she actually lost it. I'd say as long as your little guy is happy and healthy so what if he's small. As long as the dr says he's okay then he is.  
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM
my son has been like this his entire life, he is now 2 years old and 22 lbs. he's active, strong and smart. he had a nutrition test last year and his numbers were so perfect the doctor compared it to reading a text book. every disease test comes back negative. the only problem we've ever had was a slight case of anemia, which i and his father have. and we are both thin people as well. his doctors want to start retesting for everything, they just don't understand that a child can eat and still be small.

if small frames don't run in your family i would get him checked out. it's always a good idea to do some testing anyway just to be safe. but if he's developing properly and seems healthy he's probably fine.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:40 AM

when i had my daughter last sept. she weighed 7 lbs, 12 oz. and she was 20.5 inches long. shes now seven months old, and is in 9 mo. clothing. shes 28 inches long, and 18 or 19 pounds. funny thing is, my aunt had a baby in june, girl, and my lil princess is longer and heftier than aunties munchie. but shes healthy ,and thats all that matters, sounds like yours is very healthy, if they cant find anything and be like, ok, we think, or saw blah blah blah, then they really dont have anything to be worried about . at least i think. if theres not any signs of anything, and they act fine, and tests are comin back neg. then dont fret. they really do come in all shapes and sizes. im 5'2", hubby is more like, 5'11" genetics is a big one i must agree. ya know, come to think of it, if they just want to see em put on a lil pudge, then ask them about giving him just a lil bit of rice cereal either in the bottle or as breakfast or something. might help ease minds all around. and it really works, and gets them regulated on the sleeping through the night thing. hope i helped a bit. dont freak. hes fine.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:47 AM
My son who will be 5 in August weighs only 29 pounds. At nine months old he was a big baby. But the more he started moving around the skinner he got. I can not compare my daughter to yours because she weighed 3 pounds 1 oz at birth and now at three she weighs 21 pounds. But she is almost as tall as her brother and is catching him in weight as well. I have a friend who had a little boy who at one only weighed 14 pounds and he was born heathly. He is perfectly fine now. Your son will be ok he is just going to be a petite person. I would get a diferent doctor for your son though. I had to for my daughter because the doctors here thought I was not feeding her and never once looked at her medical records from the navy to see that she was born a preemie.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:51 AM
my baby is 15 months old and only weighs 17 lbs. Don't worry too much about it... I did and stressed myself out and she's fine. She is healthy and happy and I finally let it go. She is still in 6-9 month clothes and is almost a year and a half old. She went through all of the GI tests and all came back with nothing and she sees a nutrionist on a regular basis and she still isn't gaining "the way she should be".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)