Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Lease or buy used? CAR question.....plz help

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 24 Replies

Hi there,

Just looking for some opinions. I bought my van brand new 8 yrs ago. It has been paid off for 7 of those yrs, so I haven't had a payment in 7 yrs.

Well, the van hatch broke and the heat just went out, its just getting old. DH wants a new one, I am not sure I want a pymt and I dont know what to purchase.

I think I want a truck, but minivans are convenient, but my kids are getting older (15, 13, 10, 8)

What should I buy and should I lease or buy used to pay it off? Whats so bad about leasing? I like it because I can get a truck and if I dont like it, I can go back to a van when the lease is up.....opinions:)

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Leasing is a good option for people who don't drive very often and will therefore be able to stay under the very low yearly mileage requirement. Whatever vehicle you're interested in, do your research on the leasing options and purchase options and figure out which works best for you and your family. :)

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I would never lease because I drive a lot and would go over the alloted mileage. I also hate car payments so to make payments and not own the car after a few years would kill me. My BFF only leases...he likes always having a new car, doesn't care about the payments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Julia13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasgoing to get the package for milesthat is right for what we drive. I think you can get diff options. But is that the only down side to leasing??

mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM

We looked into leasing.My husband drives 70 miles roundtrip to and from work.So we chose not to do it.We didn't want to have to worry about going over the mileage.

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you want to rent an apartment forever, or own a home?  Its like that.  I can't see paying that kind of money each month and not own something.  But if money is no object.....  

Quoting Julia13:

I wasgoing to get the package for milesthat is right for what we drive. I think you can get diff options. But is that the only down side to leasing??

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Buy used.  Leases are a rip off and will cost you through the nose if you drive over 12,000 miles in a year.  Also leases are usually only 2-3 yrs and then you don't own the car, once the lease is up you have to decide to buy the car or turn it in. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
If you know you can stay within that mileage, it's not a con. For me,I don't want to be limited in my driving (our vacation last year was about 1000 miles), nor can I see making payments on the lease only to have no car at the end and need to get another one and start over with payments. I like to buy a car, pay it off and then have years without payments.

Quoting Julia13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Buy used.

christina0607
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I would never lease. 

Due9
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

We are kind of in the same boat. We are deciding whether to lease or buy and minivan or crossover with third row, although leaning toward crossover. We dediced to buy because we will drive it until it breaks down and we don't need to turn it back in and get a new car. Also, leases are like renting and I don't like that idea.

We have decided on a crossover with a third row called an Infiniti Jx35. It is the best crossover out there in my eyes, with a nice third row and great gas mileage (like a minivan).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)