Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is 8 megs of download speed any good?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
No data caps for 25$ a month? I'm looking at fidelity communications if that helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
storkradio193
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

It is ok, but not great.  I have comcast which brings around 25mbs.  Do you want to download stuff quickly or use online games?  It is probably fine for everyday use.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

crazymom21
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Watch Netflix mostly.

Quoting storkradio193:

It is ok, but not great.  I have comcast which brings around 25mbs.  Do you want to download stuff quickly or use online games?  It is probably fine for everyday use.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

It's ok. Anything less and watching movies would probably not happen. No data caps is a good thing! We get our internet for free because my husband works for the cable company, so we can do whatever we want. He has told me stories of customers who got the high speed internet at 50mps, which has a cap, and totally went way over the cap from Netflix and Youtube. It is how the cable companies will make money in the future. If people don't watch tv, they will cap the internet usage. So if you are finding decent speed with no cap, get it!

waffa
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I'm not the most tech savvy, but when I right clicky my internet connection it says '54.0 Mbps...

is that good? no clue, but know it gets the job done

crazymom21
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I currently use my phone as a hotspot. We watch Netflix on our Wii. There isn't supposed to be a data cap but I knows there is and it's annoying. So I don't know how reliable this company will be. I'm going to do more research on it. 16 megs is only 10$ more. Thanks for your help :)

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

It's ok. Anything less and watching movies would probably not happen. No data caps is a good thing! We get our internet for free because my husband works for the cable company, so we can do whatever we want. He has told me stories of customers who got the high speed internet at 50mps, which has a cap, and totally went way over the cap from Netflix and Youtube. It is how the cable companies will make money in the future. If people don't watch tv, they will cap the internet usage. So if you are finding decent speed with no cap, get it!

crazymom21
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Do you watch movies and such with it? We can watch a lot of tv through Netflix when the weather is bad. It comes in handy since we just have over the air channels. I'm definitely not tech savvy.

Quoting waffa:

I'm not the most tech savvy, but when I right clicky my internet connection it says '54.0 Mbps...

waffa
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM

naw, tv is seperate from intrawebz

Quoting crazymom21:

Do you watch movies and such with it? We can watch a lot of tv through Netflix when the weather is bad. It comes in handy since we just have over the air channels. I'm definitely not tech savvy.

Quoting waffa:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN