Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughters school play is about Jesus

Posted by   + Show Post
They are doing a musical called "godspell". Would you allow your child in a public Highschool to be in a play like this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
MommyBee12808
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM
If that's what she wants to believe in or participate in it's up to her. I don't believe in God or Jesus but at that age they can start making choices of their own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by Nancy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Damn you just brought the 70's back to me!! Everyone back then did Godspell for their high school musicals. 

I'm agnostic and yes I would. 

ahappymommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Marine Biology...cool!  She is so much braver then me, I couldnt get infront of people like that, I would probably wet my pants! LOL! Post pics of her all dressed up for the play,its awesome by the way!

Quoting LCWAmommy:

I never said I had a problem with it. She isn't interested in a career in acting though its just something she does for fun she has plans for a career in marine biology.

Quoting ahappymommy:

Its just a play, they arent forcing her to believe in God or go to church, if she wants to be in the play then let her, heaven forbid she grows up to be a famous actress and has to do movies where they mention God or Jesus!

gamelas
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM

yes, it's a fabulous musical. one of my favorites.  a lot of plays, music and musicals/opera have religious conflicts, lines, or backdrops.  Are you going to just as concerned when the orchestra and choir do Messiah?

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I would let them participate in any play that they wanted.  They are allowed to choose the role.   My dd was just in a play where she played a lesbian teen that was the Rabi's daughter. The play was about a girl coming out of the closet to her a very strict catholic Mother.   It was quite the controversial play.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Where did I say I was concerned. I was just asking a question. She's not in orchestra or choir so I have no clue what they are doing. She is in marching band and they did a Russian theme this year.
I really don't care what the play I'd about however from what I gather its not really religious anyway as long as its not inappropriate ( for instance berlisque or something of that nature) I really don't care. My biggest complaint it that its adding to her already busy schedule.

Quoting gamelas:

yes, it's a fabulous musical. one of my favorites.  a lot of plays, music and musicals/opera have religious conflicts, lines, or backdrops.  Are you going to just as concerned when the orchestra and choir do Messiah?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

YES, why not?  It is not like she was forced into doing it.  

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM
That sounds interesting.

Quoting Msgme:

I would let them participate in any play that they wanted.  They are allowed to choose the role.   My dd was just in a play where she played a lesbian teen that was the Rabi's daughter. The play was about a girl coming out of the closet to her a very strict catholic Mother.   It was quite the controversial play.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yep, sure would and would be very proud of it .... but then my family is a Christian family.

eema.gray
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Although "Jesus" is in Godspell, I wouldn't really call it a religious musical.  It's more along the lines of Jesus Christ, Superstar than the religious musicals I did for church.  I'd let my children do Godspell, no question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN