Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

******Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (131-140):
mommaslilmen
by Kimmy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I only know because i actually want to be a tech and have done my research , but no we go to school to learn how basic/advanced life support or how to cut people out of cars and all about fires. The most we are taught about car seats is how to get a child that's been in an accident out of one (ems wise, since fire and ems are seperate in my area and a very small percent of ff are emt....ff just cut the cars up)

Quoting disneymom2two:

Even those who are not volunteers may well not know.  DH is a firefighter (no volunteers in the city he works in) and only 2 of the firefighters in the entire department have gone through the training to be a carseat tech. Carseat tech training is not part of the regular fire or EMT training (DH is an EMT as well and is training to be a paramedic- no car seat training).

Quoting mommaslilmen:
And as for emt's or firefighters....MANY in this country are volunteer and are NOT taught the proper in and outs. Ok they may know how to install ypur seat (can't say that for a single firefighter in my first due) but they still don't know about not using after market products, when to move straps up, when to properly switch seats ect. Those who do...kudos and I hope they are teaching others, I really do

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I used to till I knew better, now she doesn't, (well didn't when she was in her 5 point.

cnlsmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM
It may be a hospital or dept specific policy, but it isn't part of mandatory training to become a medical professional. I do think it is great that your hospital requires it though!

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting cnlsmommy:

Registered nurse here with a bachelors degree and some masters degree work under my belt. I've had training at 3 separate institutions across 2 states and take over the required continuing education credits annually, never once been offered even 1 hour of car seat training. Not even through my OB or ped rotations. Not even a movie or a hand out, nothing.

Quoting deepthinker:

My children wore snowsuits in their (forward facing) carseats and I have even been in an accident that squashed the back of my car, and broke my engine in half, with my oldest in the car who was two at the time with a wool snowsuit.  We both came out of it with minor injuries.

What people fail to realize is that yes, clothing can compress in an accident, if you have the child in a down coat, but it depends on the material of the clothing as well.  Also I was told that it didn't make any difference if my child was in a rear facing or forward facing carseat because I was hit from the rear and my car was thrown into a tree. I had impact at both ends. Have any of you ladies who don't turn your children to a forward facing carseat ever wonder why you rarely see any video of a rear impact car crash with a rear facing car seat?  Well the reason is all accidents don't happen from a head on collision and the same thing that could happen in a forward facing seat with extension of the neck can happen with a rear facing seat if you are hit from the back.  Not to mention the danger from internal injuries if the knees of a child goes into their chest or abdomen.

Also, a doctor or nurse, or firefighter is just as certified to give instructions on a carseat as a tech, because they are all given the same training. carseat techs receive a few hours of training anywhere from 3-5 days.  Nurses, doctors, and firefighters usually receive the same amount of training.  Just all in a one to two day course.

I said they receive the same training as a tech. I didn't say that all staff is given training but nursery staff at hospitals HERE are required to have a person trained in carseat safety on staff at all times, and receive the same training as any other carseat technician. 

cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:02 AM

just because they are drs and stuff doesnt mean they are a trained car seat tech! in the event of an accident the fluff in the coat will compress leaveing the straps on the child WAAAAY too lose. put the coat or snow suit on your child, put him/her in the car seat and strap it as the way it shold be, not enough strap to pinch, then take child out of car seat and take coat/snow suit off. put them back in the car seat and see how much room there is between child and straps. this is the room they would have in the event of accident. it is not safe. please dont believe your drs or nurses just because they are drs and nurses, they deff dont know everything. please take the time out of your life to either talk to a car seat tech or take a car seat class.

disneymom2two
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM

EMS and fire used to be separate but are now one in the city where he works.  The firefighters who've been there a long time aren't all EMTs but they won't hire any new ones who aren't.  They're hoping to have at least 1 paramedic on every shift once all this training is done.  DH is taking the state exam in a couple of weeks.  DH said its pretty common for people to think they're all trained in how to install a carseat properly.  People stop by all the time and get annoyed when no one can help them if neither of the 2 who are trained are there.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

I only know because i actually want to be a tech and have done my research , but no we go to school to learn how basic/advanced life support or how to cut people out of cars and all about fires. The most we are taught about car seats is how to get a child that's been in an accident out of one (ems wise, since fire and ems are seperate in my area and a very small percent of ff are emt....ff just cut the cars up)

Quoting disneymom2two:

Even those who are not volunteers may well not know.  DH is a firefighter (no volunteers in the city he works in) and only 2 of the firefighters in the entire department have gone through the training to be a carseat tech. Carseat tech training is not part of the regular fire or EMT training (DH is an EMT as well and is training to be a paramedic- no car seat training).

Quoting mommaslilmen:
And as for emt's or firefighters....MANY in this country are volunteer and are NOT taught the proper in and outs. Ok they may know how to install ypur seat (can't say that for a single firefighter in my first due) but they still don't know about not using after market products, when to move straps up, when to properly switch seats ect. Those who do...kudos and I hope they are teaching others, I really do

wiener
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM

i let my kids wear there jackets, hats and gloves all the time, i tighten the straps every time i put them in the van. i don't care what some of these mothers on this site say when you live in MN and you got temps like yesterday at -35 below zero and you have to go out to bring them to the doctor there is no fricken way i am undressing my kids to put them in their car seat.. 

mamisjourney
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM

for me I had to bring the car seat in the hospital and they did a check and hooked it up to a machine. not just looked in the car

Quoting Kaybean:

Just because they are told to peek in your car and make sure you have a car seat or a base buckled in, doesn't mean they're educated on any other car seat safety. Also, not all people even use the base, so then what? A nurse can peek to see if there's a base and that it's buckled in, but that doesn't mean they're trained or that they have a clue about anything else when it comes to car seat safety.

Quoting mamisjourney:

around here, before you leave the hospital the nurses do a car seat check. Now why would they do that if they are not trained to do so? you wont be able to leave the hospital without a car seat check. So I think a NICU is a reliable source. Also if you go to the fire department they will give you safety information and check that the car seats and bases are installed correctly.

Proud-mama-05
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I used to leave my kids in their coats up until recently. I found a video online (wasn't a parent opinion video lol) and it made sense to me so I started taking it off before they go in their seat then covering them back up with their coat.
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM
http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=34958

Real life rear end accidents with RFing kids.

Quoting deepthinker:

My children wore snowsuits in their (forward facing) carseats and I have even been in an accident that squashed the back of my car, and broke my engine in half, with my oldest in the car who was two at the time with a wool snowsuit.  We both came out of it with minor injuries.

What people fail to realize is that yes, clothing can compress in an accident, if you have the child in a down coat, but it depends on the material of the clothing as well.  Also I was told that it didn't make any difference if my child was in a rear facing or forward facing carseat because I was hit from the rear and my car was thrown into a tree. I had impact at both ends. Have any of you ladies who don't turn your children to a forward facing carseat ever wonder why you rarely see any video of a rear impact car crash with a rear facing car seat?  Well the reason is all accidents don't happen from a head on collision and the same thing that could happen in a forward facing seat with extension of the neck can happen with a rear facing seat if you are hit from the back.  Not to mention the danger from internal injuries if the knees of a child goes into their chest or abdomen.

Also, a doctor or nurse, or firefighter is just as certified to give instructions on a carseat as a tech, because they are all given the same training. carseat techs receive a few hours of training anywhere from 3-5 days.  Nurses, doctors, and firefighters usually receive the same amount of training.  Just all in a one to two day course.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Because of the crash forces. A human cant possibly recreate the pressure on the straps that a crash would make

Quoting Salsacookies:

If you tighten up the straps so that they already compress the material, how is it going to compress more?

Quoting nikkik526:

Do this, put ur daughter in her coat or snowsuit and place her in her car seat; make sure her straps are tight. Now WITHOUT adjusting her straps take her out and take the coat or snowsuit off. Put her back in WITHOUT adjusting the straps and buckle her in.

Do you see all the extra room? Thats because the coat dosent compress by the straps but it will in a car accident and all the extra room can cause ur daughter to be ejected from her car seat and ur car which could kill her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)