Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

******Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
mjande4
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Show me an actual college degree from a division 1 school in this area and maybe I can be convinced.

Quoting Ktina11:

Agreed!

Quoting TheMrs407:

And its a doctor's? If education is important to you a car seat tech has more education in carseats than a doctor.

Quoting mjande4:

I am sorry, but anyone with the measily title of tech after it, doesn't impress me.  There's not a degree tied to that little name.

Quoting VintageWife:

Carseat techs ARE smarter about carseats than doctors. Why would you think a doctor trained in inside the body things would be able to tell you about a safety device used inside a VEHICLE. 

Quoting mjande4:

Haven't you learned by now that the women on CM are much smarter than any one with an advanced degree like a doctor!? LOL  (insert sarcasm)

isaiahsmomma86
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM
better safe than sorry!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lmjess
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Carseat mom has a blog. She's a doctor AND a carseat tech. I trust her!

Sorry it's carseat lady.

lmjess
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
5 moms liked this

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/149235/the_important_winter_car_seat

This baby was wearing a snowsuit and was ejected. Isn't that enough proof that it's a bad idea???

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not. I care to much about my Childs safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamisjourney
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM
4 moms liked this

around here, before you leave the hospital the nurses do a car seat check. Now why would they do that if they are not trained to do so? you wont be able to leave the hospital without a car seat check. So I think a NICU is a reliable source. Also if you go to the fire department they will give you safety information and check that the car seats and bases are installed correctly.

livelaughlov26
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM
It just isn't worth the risk.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, glad I don't have your doctor! Ours ( all 5 of them in the practice) agree that it is very dangerous to put your child in a heavy coat in the car seat. If your in an accident, that coat will compress, making the car seat pointless. Sorry, but that is just putting my child at risk for what? It is not that hard to start the car and let it warm up, get a blanket, or heck...put the coat on backwards so that the child is buckled in safely.

I have done the coat check thing( where you put the child in the coat and adjust the straps, then take the coat off and see how far they are). My son can easily get out of the buckled seat. There was a good 4-5 inches of space there.

baby7810
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

i just recently started the no big coat thing, cause i started reading more and more. i now feel more comfortable with doing it and i have it down pretty good to get her to the car, coat, off, buckled, throw heavy blanket on. my husband is no longer allowed to buckle her cause he doesnt fully agree with me :(

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Not I. Even when my oldest was a newborn and it was snowing, he never wore that much. At most he would have a little pj type zip up or button up body suit with a onesie, socks, hat, and a nice thick blanket over him(over the car seat straps) then another blanket covering his carrier. I just don't want to take any chances... To me it only makes sense that in a crash, the padding of the big thick coats will push down and make it possible for baby to go flying out. Plus, its much easier to just later and use blankets IMO.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN