Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

******Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (51-60):
mjande4
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

That's my point! A fireman has a degree, unlike someone who just calls themselves a "tech". The handwringing/ hysteria on this subject/site is so entertaining.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

There's no degree for car seat safety. They get a degree for fire fighting. If it were part of the fire fighting degree then every firemen would be trained to do car seat installation, and that is not the case.

Quoting mjande4:

Yes, because the firemen in our area actually go to COLLEGE and get a DEGREE.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Would you trust a firemen who is a car seat tech? They both go through the same car seat technical training. Honest question... Not being a smart ass or anything.

Quoting mjande4:

Show me an actual college degree from a division 1 school in this area and maybe I can be convinced.

Quoting Ktina11:

Agreed!

Quoting TheMrs407:

And its a doctor's? If education is important to you a car seat tech has more education in carseats than a doctor.

Quoting mjande4:

I am sorry, but anyone with the measily title of tech after it, doesn't impress me.  There's not a degree tied to that little name.

Quoting VintageWife:

Carseat techs ARE smarter about carseats than doctors. Why would you think a doctor trained in inside the body things would be able to tell you about a safety device used inside a VEHICLE. 

Quoting mjande4:

Haven't you learned by now that the women on CM are much smarter than any one with an advanced degree like a doctor!? LOL  (insert sarcasm)

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you, your dr, or your firefighters certified car seat techs? If not then u have no room to tell other to do deadly thing. By the way most states are proper usage states which means yu have to follow ur car seat manual word for word, ur manual (every manual) says that coats and snow suit arent allowed. There was a women right here on cafemom that got killed in a crash, so did her young kids that got ejectec from thier car seats in the crash while wearing coats.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/109699/6_tips_for_winter_car

Quoting Mandie183:

I trust the fire department who do checks, my Dr, and my own education as a nurse. Thanks. In case you have any other questions consumers report agrees http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/12/winter-coats-and-car-seats-keeping-your-child-safe-and-warm.html I never said the snow suit should be bulky. But it is ok.

Quoting nikkik526:

No you can not, your manual even says it. Dont give others deadly info.

Quoting Mandie183:

You can use a snowsuit with a car seat as long as you adjust the straps appropriately, meaning you should only be able to slide 2 fingers under the straps. Mine have always wore snow suits in their car seats.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
So life or death of a child is funny to you? Most of us do whats best for our children im sorry you dont.

By the way the people who make and test the car seats write the manual and it says right in everyone absolutly NO coats or snowsuit in car seats.

Quoting mjande4:

That's my point! A fireman has a degree, unlike someone who just calls themselves a "tech". The handwringing/ hysteria on this subject/site is so entertaining.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

There's no degree for car seat safety. They get a degree for fire fighting. If it were part of the fire fighting degree then every firemen would be trained to do car seat installation, and that is not the case.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Would you trust a firemen who is a car seat tech? They both go through the same car seat technical training. Honest question... Not being a smart ass or anything.

Quoting mjande4:

Show me an actual college degree from a division 1 school in this area and maybe I can be convinced.

Quoting Ktina11:

Agreed!

Quoting TheMrs407:

And its a doctor's? If education is important to you a car seat tech has more education in carseats than a doctor.

Quoting mjande4:

I am sorry, but anyone with the measily title of tech after it, doesn't impress me.  There's not a degree tied to that little name.

Quoting VintageWife:

Carseat techs ARE smarter about carseats than doctors. Why would you think a doctor trained in inside the body things would be able to tell you about a safety device used inside a VEHICLE. 

Quoting mjande4:

Haven't you learned by now that the women on CM are much smarter than any one with an advanced degree like a doctor!? LOL  (insert sarcasm)

mjande4
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Life or death!? LMAO! Seriously, how did any of us survive our childhood!? 

Quoting nikkik526:

So life or death of a child is funny to you? Most of us do whats best for our children im sorry you dont.

By the way the people who make and test the car seats write the manual and it says right in everyone absolutly NO coats or snowsuit in car seats.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Ktina11:

Agreed!

Quoting TheMrs407:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting mjande4:

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Yes life or death. There has been plenty of babies/toddlers killed due to winter coats in thier car seats because of ejection. Including a mother on this site.

This video shows you why you dont do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGT9eBL_gg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Quoting mjande4:

Life or death!? LMAO! Seriously, how did any of us survive our childhood!? 

Quoting nikkik526:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Ktina11:

Agreed!

Quoting TheMrs407:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting mjande4:

AMR320
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Same here!

Quoting Ktina11:

No bulky clothes on while in their seats here. Says it in the manual and I follow it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Here is a bit of advice, open your manual and read. You won't find a manual for a carseat that doesn't tell you not to use big thick coats or clothes with a carseat. 

CheyennesMommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids never wear coats in carseats, it isn't safe. The compression of the coat in an accident will leave the straps loose, no matter how tight you get them with the snowsuit or coat, and the baby or toddler will not be held in properly.

I don't see why it's so hard for people. With my newborns, there in a carrier, usually with a blanket on AND a shower cap cover, and a blanket over the canopy and handle, perfectly warm...once there out of a carrier, we wrap them in a blanket, or put there coat over them, and carry them.

People say "the cars cold" ...we never go anywhere in the winter without starting our car first, even if we're out and about dh starts it and gets us at the door. If you can't start your car, keep a couple fleece blankets in the car.

Seriously it's -6 degrees here right now, and my kids still won't be wearing a coat. If we're going in to like a store, we have them put there coats on once they are unbuckled. It's really not all that hard, and worth it to protect our kids.

If all that's a hassle to you, maybe you shouldn't have had kids. Yea sometimes it sucks, but that's part of it, protecting our kids at ALL COSTS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyKids84_
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I did when my son and daughter were babies and they were fine.

ILoveMyKids84_ Formerly _WC_Mama

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
First, read your car seat manual. It's in there, I promise. To explain the mechanics, imagine what happens when you punch a pillow. It compresses, right? When you have your kid in bulky clothing under carseat or seatbelt straps, the same principle applies. In a crash, that fabric compresses, making the straps very loose. so, put your child in the seat with their coat and tighten the straps. Then take the coat off and put the child back in.. If you're coomfortable with the straps being that loose, you're fine. If not, find a different style of coat. Fleece usually is the way to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)