Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

******Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (841-850):
WildLilli
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
So all the moms on here who are name calling should take their own advice... She didn't give any reason why she did believe her doctors andyou didn't give any reasons why she shouldn't other than to insult her and her doctor... I would have trusted whatever my doctor said too until i read this story about a baby being ejected.... Makes a lot of sense that the snow suit or jacket would compress which is why your baby can be ejected. Scary stuff...

Quoting lmjess:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/149235/the_important_winter_car_seat

This baby was wearing a snowsuit and was ejected. Isn't that enough proof that it's a bad idea???

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM
If you look thur the replies tons of people including myself posted tons of info provering its not safe. Most doctors are not Certified Car Seat Technicians there for its a good guess that they dont know whats safe and whats not safe, just like they will tell you to turn ur baby around at 1 to forward face but its safest to rear face tillmatlest 2 if not longer.

Quoting WildLilli:

So all the moms on here who are name calling should take their own advice... She didn't give any reason why she did believe her doctors andyou didn't give any reasons why she shouldn't other than to insult her and her doctor... I would have trusted whatever my doctor said too until i read this story about a baby being ejected.... Makes a lot of sense that the snow suit or jacket would compress which is why your baby can be ejected. Scary stuff...

Quoting lmjess:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/149235/the_important_winter_car_seat

This baby was wearing a snowsuit and was ejected. Isn't that enough proof that it's a bad idea???

XandH
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was a winter baby! While he weighed 9lbs 4 oz when he was born, so he was far from a preemie. It was freezing the day we took him home I had him in a lite snow suit and the NICU nurse said she recommended he not wear it, because the straps were not tight enough with it on. ( while on the other hand the nicu nurse was unable to tell me how to adjust the straps and how to tell when the straps were fitting properly so I would know in the future). So I read the installation instructions of the car seat and followed them. It stated nothing about not wearing snow suits. I still let him wear the snowsuit home It was freezing outside and extremely windy. I would be more worried about him suffocating on a blanket covering him then the snowsuit at that age. I just made the straps tighter on him. It is basically like him having a fleece on! Now he is a year old and he hates to wear winter coats in his car seat. So to make trips easier I put him in a fleece and give him a blanket.
I think if your Dr. say that your child is safe, then you are fine. I am sure that you have adjusted the car seat straps to be tight on her while in her snow suit.

nybor48
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

This whole thing...let's just say that I make sure that my gk's are safe in my car.. I never said that they weren't... some here just because they didn't want to read what i was writing took it way too far....  someone said that "we know better now"  I just said that people know not to drink and drive and they still do, so yeah we know better but not everyone is doing it..  All my gk are big enough (except for the 7 m/o ) to face the front... and in seats/boosters. Someone tried to tell me that what I was doing was illegal.. lol  yes there's alot of research that has gone in to carseat saftey,  but even if they are installed correctly and everything else, if the accident is bad enough, not even a car seat will protect completely...  a few years ago in my town, a mom and dad and baby were having car trouble and on the side of the road.  mom and dad were not in the car, but the baby was, in its car seat correctly and all, a truck hit their car.  The baby did not make it.  mom and dad could do nothing but watch.   My first post started out that my kids when they were small, had a carseat that was not a 5 point, and by todays standard was probably suited more for a 2+.  and that they faced the front from the day they were brought home from the hospital... (which was in the late 80's)..  that's all.. and it blew up into a big ole... your uneducated etc... mess... the rear facing... one mom in another group posted pics of her 7 y/o rear facing... (a little too extreme IMO)  the poor kid was like folded in half just to sit that way..  i never said that rear facing was unsafe.. i just said that some people crack me up.

Quoting ApachePunk:

Just to respond to your thing about rear facing -

the forces that can cause whiplash on an adult in a car accident (being hit from front, side or back) are enough to internally decapitate or break the neck of a small child. whiplash is NOT the reason why rear facing to 35-40 lbs is safer. This is not just some silly thing being recommended, this has been riggerously studied and proven that rear facing longer is over 500% safer. You can watch the crash tests themselves on youtube, you can read about the physics of WHY from multiple sources, etc. There are no cases of broken legs from "extended" rear facing, but there are countless cases of children with broken necks, internally decapitated, and other serious and fatal injuries from forward facing too early. THAT is the reason why it has been recommended for the past several years that rear facing should be for at least 35-40 lbs and all car seats made in the US now are required to rear face to those limits at the very least. As a matter of fact, we would all, including older children and adults, be safer rear facing than forward, but this is just not practical obviously. So even if a smaller car is rear ended by a big truck, the child is still over 500% safer rear facing, and their legs will be most likely just fine. As a former EMT have seen and heard about a lot of children in car accidents, I have seen fatalities due to improper car seat/seat belt use, I have heard of a child being internally decapitated from sitting in the front seat while the car was going only 5 mph (and the car hitting them was going no more than 20-30 mph), etc. This is a very real, very studied, very proven thing.

Quoting nybor48:

let me ask you... And Nikki...  Do you vaccinate your children? 

Quoting blue_apalt:

Quoting nybor48:

Again, your not reading.... my kids are/were safe, my gk are safe... Perhaps they were/are, but as time goes we learn safer ways to do things. Why no do them?  Testing shows certain things are safer then the way we once did them.   50+ yrs ago cars didn't have seat belts.  Most ppl still lived and were fine w/ that.  We use belts now.  Why? Because we realized it was safer and they save lives (most of the time, there are cases where ppl die wearing them, but we still know stat wise it's safer so we use them).  I'm just saying that I would rather use my common sense in protecting my children I agree, but I'm not sure where following the guidelines about car seats w/ testing typically would fall under this.  ??  How is it common sense to risk internal decapitation over a broken leg (which nikki is correct -HAS NEVER been reported)? And not rely on a manual that someone writes because they think it's best for my kid... The manuals are done w/ testing.  They are not based on what "someone writes because they think it's best for my kid"  but are written based, 99% of the time, on what STATICAL EVIDANCE shows is safest based on current understanding (which is far different then what it was 20 yrs ago).  really your getting all worked up...over nothing.  i'm sure at that exact moment that my gk or any kid for that matter, turn 2.5 they there spine is automatically fused...  HUH?   kids grown at different rates... Yes, but in addition to being a carseat technician I'm also a Cell Biologist.  Different rates of growth have NOTHING to do this...physiologically bone density, fusion (spines don't really "fuse"), the weight of the head of a child, the way the neck and spine are jointed, etc is not going to be different to any great degree in any child no matter size or growth rate.  All humans follow a basic rule on the age/time frame here...alot of this stuff changes greatly between 4-6 regardless of growth rates.  A large child and a small child...still follow the same time frame on these things  That said, rear facing is safer for anyone.  Even an adult can become internally decapitated -the risk is lower because your head to body size is far different then a small child's, your bone density, your muscle strength and control, your spine and skull joint, etc  BLAH...  i am not uneducated, and the most my kids have ever had was a sprained ankle lol... just chill out... and i'm not just a mother.... I'm a Grandma !!!  so been there done that.  I'm glad your kids and most of those who are in that generation, myself included, grew up safe.  But not everyone did, just as not everyone does now. It's a fallacy to argue that because I/you/she/he/etc did x and were safe then X is safe...the seats I used as a child were "safe" at that time, but they are far from as safe as I could have been and we now have a means to keep my kids much safer then I once was. Time and tests and new products are making things safer then they were in the past and statistics show that, so I'm not sure why anyone would not want to make any child they have w/ them safer then their parents were, their grandparents were, etc.  We live. We learn. We develop new and safer means to transport children...why not go w/ it?  

As for the car rear facing scenario: Watch some videos and look at stats on this...many ppl think the same as you, an on the surface it does seem like it makes sense.  But common sense only works sometimes which is why it's important to do research as well.  The physics at work in that type of accident and the way bodies, especially of young children are made, unfortunately don't line up w/ what appears to make sense here. Watch some videos on this.  Do some research on crashes and look at the stats -Nikki is right.   Anyways, I wish you well and I'm glad you are trying to keep your grand kids as safe as you feel you can, but I do hope you are willing to take a look at some of these issues more in depth and make your choices knowing the current evidence and statistics. Have a good day.

Quoting nikkik526:

It is 534% safer, my 21 month old is still rear faceing will be till atlest 3 or 4. A child spin and neck dont start to fuse till 2.5 Yrs old. Internal decapication is very real and can happen in a crash as little as 35 mph. There has never ben a report of broken legs rear faceing but there has been many forward faceing. And ill risk broken legs over a dead child anyday anyway! "Broken lehgs cast it, broken neck castket" Your just another uneducated mother who dosent want to learn how to keep thier child as safe as can be.

Quoting nybor48:

Yeah.... we know better alright.... ha.....  people know not to drink and drive,  BUT they still do.  I'm just sayin, some people go way way overboard when it comes to the saftey of our children, when my kids were small not only was the carseat (according to todays standards) not correct for them, the entire car wasn't safe lol...  And the people nowadays that do extended rear facing.. they crack me up. I mean really?  how safe can that possibly be safe?  kid facing the rear window with legs crossed.... in the back seat of lets say a Honda Accord... Passenger truck (just for grins) Ford F150. rearends the Honda.....kid ends up with two broken legs and all kinds of facial lacerations vs. being forward facing and possibly getting whiplash... hmmmm... maybe we should outlaw children in the cars altogether until they are old enough to drive themselves...  oh wait, they probably wouldn't use their seatbelts because they were wearing their winter coat, and the seat belt was just a little too tight... smh...

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM
No its not safe, look at the link in the post above ur first post. Doctors are NOT Certified Car Seat Technicians and there for dont know whats safe. Theres tons of proof on this post in replies. I even went as far as to contact the OPs carseat company, they said a big NO to coats and snow suits in car seats.

Quoting XandH:

My son was a winter baby! While he weighed 9lbs 4 oz when he was born, so he was far from a preemie. It was freezing the day we took him home I had him in a lite snow suit and the NICU nurse said she recommended he not wear it, because the straps were not tight enough with it on. ( while on the other hand the nicu nurse was unable to tell me how to adjust the straps and how to tell when the straps were fitting properly so I would know in the future). So I read the installation instructions of the car seat and followed them. It stated nothing about not wearing snow suits. I still let him wear the snowsuit home It was freezing outside and extremely windy. I would be more worried about him suffocating on a blanket covering him then the snowsuit at that age. I just made the straps tighter on him. It is basically like him having a fleece on! Now he is a year old and he hates to wear winter coats in his car seat. So to make trips easier I put him in a fleece and give him a blanket.
I think if your Dr. say that your child is safe, then you are fine. I am sure that you have adjusted the car seat straps to be tight on her while in her snow suit.

jamiinvegas
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Jami

IsaKids 

Dreamininlilies
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is a certified cars eat tech, as well as being a fireman and paramedic. They do get good training and updated training happens frequently. I do not know whre you are getting your information, not just anyone can do it.

Dreaming In Lilies, a.k.a. Anita 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Haha! Those were my exact thoughts too !

Quoting mjande4:

Haven't you learned by now that the women on CM are much smarter than any one with an advanced degree like a doctor!? LOL  (insert sarcasm)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HOTMOMMY2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

The Sheriff who installed our car seat said to NEVER put a your child in a heavy Jacket or Snowsuit in then in the car.  Here is why, put your child in said heavy clothes and then take your baby out of the seat and out of the heavy clothing then put the baby back into the seat and fasten the straps.  All that extra slack; shows how the heavy clothing will compress in an accident not securing your child properly. So your child will move which will cause Injury and Death.  My son goes into his car seat in a fleece lined sweater if it is below Zero which it has been we warm the car first and wrap him in a blanket before he goes outside.

In Sweden children are rear facing until the age of 5 years because they have found that it reduces the risk of injury and death.  New York State law changed recently babies have to be rear facing until 2 years. 

HOTMOMMY2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Also for those who don't know; YOUR BABIES LUNGS CAN AND WILL FREEZE IN THE COLD WEATHER.  They are not developed enough to breathe in cold air and keep warm.  so yes when it is cold out COVER YOUR BABIES face with a blanket but not tightly they can breathe and will not suffocate!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)