Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

******Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (861-870):
karlie2
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Quoting nikkik526:

My kids aren't in a five point harness anymore.
And it doesn't surprise me in the least that you would go there if you're ok with.....
Anyone who doesn't agree with you must not love or care about their kids.
I would never say the "d" word when talking about someone elses kids or suggest that a mother wouldn't care if their child was ki....ed.
Very classy
mommaboudreaux
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

BUMP!

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Her straps are way to high and loose.
You are going to get her hurt!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Yes I did go there cuz im sick of all the uneducated parents thinking that car seat companies are just saying it for no reason. There are 100s of kids killed by car seat missuse because parents refuse to read the manual! Ya how old are your kids who are in boosters? Do u go by the laws that are so wrong that its sad? A child shouldnt be boostered till they can sit 100% 100% of the time; no sleeping, slouching, reaching, or playing with the belt.

Quoting karlie2:

Quoting nikkik526:

My kids aren't in a five point harness anymore.

And it doesn't surprise me in the least that you would go there if you're ok with.....

Anyone who doesn't agree with you must not love or care about their kids.

I would never say the "d" word when talking about someone elses kids or suggest that a mother wouldn't care if their child was ki....ed.

Very classy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
karlie2
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Quoting nikkik526:

My kids are 7 and switched to a high back booster when they were five.
We trust and follow the provincial laws regarding car seats. We took a car seat safety course before the boys were born and had their seats installed by professionals at a government sponsored clinic.
I am educated enough I just have no problems with my kids wearing their winter coats.
And I would never make a comment like you did about other peoples kids no matter how much I disagreed with their mother.
Rara32
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM
She's so adorsble
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I hope you never allow your children to play outside alone.

Quoting nikkik526:

No u have it totally wrong. Anyone with half a brain knows a coat will compress under crash forces that dont equal the harness pressure! Its in the manual because the safty test FAIL with winter gear on! If you ok with ur child being killed go ahead and keep doing it.

Quoting karlie2:

Quoting nikkik526:

Umm we checked the straps everytime be buckled them in and most of the time they were fine. If not we gave them an extra tightening. That's just common sense.

Anyone with half a brain can adjust straps as necessary. They put those warnings on for people who are too stupid to figure this out. Kind of like warning coffee is hot.

It's minus 43 here right now so we'll wear our winter coats thanks.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I do have to ask, why is there a swim noodle under the carseat?

your baby is way too small for that carseat.

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Swim noodles are allowed and safety tested. They help the recline for young babies and kids when the vehical seats dont make a good recline or the car seat dont have a reclineing base.

Quoting Paperfishies:

I do have to ask, why is there a swim noodle under the carseat?

your baby is way too small for that carseat.

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
My kids are 22 months and 2.8 yrs, no one with a brain would let kids thier age play outside alone. My 10 yr old niece isnt allowed outside alone and we live in the woods.

That has nothing to do with car seat use. If all parents read the manual and researched they would know this stuff is fact and rear facing is 534% safer till age 4.

Quoting Paperfishies:

I hope you never allow your children to play outside alone.

Quoting nikkik526:

No u have it totally wrong. Anyone with half a brain knows a coat will compress under crash forces that dont equal the harness pressure! Its in the manual because the safty test FAIL with winter gear on! If you ok with ur child being killed go ahead and keep doing it.

Quoting karlie2:

Quoting nikkik526:

Umm we checked the straps everytime be buckled them in and most of the time they were fine. If not we gave them an extra tightening. That's just common sense.

Anyone with half a brain can adjust straps as necessary. They put those warnings on for people who are too stupid to figure this out. Kind of like warning coffee is hot.

It's minus 43 here right now so we'll wear our winter coats thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)