Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kaplan University update

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 17 Replies

I was just wondering if anyone else on here is doing or has done Kaplan University or another college online? I applied to get my Associates in medical assisting. I would really like to do it online because I do better in my home environment and I can plan "class" around my own schedule that day versus having to do the opposite. If you did do online how did you like it, I know not everyone has the self discipline that it takes to do it online, But for the most part I homeschooled myself during middle school. I also did some online classes a few years ago and did very well.  

I did some research and found that the American Association of medical associates does not consider Kaplan to be an accredited school, but Everest is, so I will be going to Everest. This is the website for anyone who wants to know http://www.aama-ntl.org/medassisting/caahep_prgs.aspx

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I am attending kaplan and love it! I graduate this June with my bachelors of science in legal studies. It took me three years to finish a four year degree. If you can manage to stick to deadlines and find the time for all the work then it's awesome and the classes are really easy to get 4.0 grades as long as your self motivated. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM

deadlines are fine, and Thats my goal to finish classes before what's normal.

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

I am attending kaplan and love it! I graduate this June with my bachelors of science in legal studies. It took me three years to finish a four year degree. If you can manage to stick to deadlines and find the time for all the work then it's awesome and the classes are really easy to get 4.0 grades as long as your self motivated. Good luck!!

CafeMom Tickers
aj23
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I used the online option for 2  local schools (a community college and an University) to get my degree. The classes weren't really hard but it was tough to find time to do all the work sometimes. I worked full time and had a small child so my day was packed before I went back to school.

Kaelaasmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I love Kaplan. I am in my 3rd term toward my Bachelors in Accounting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I looked into it and i don't like it. The reviews are terrible even though attendance rate is high. Not a lot of people are getting jobs out of there. They can end up being more costly. They are regionally accredited not nationally which was not cool for my needs. I looked into it a while back but if I remember right they are on pissed off consumer and ripoff report and and so many negative review sites it got to the point I was just doing random searches and looking at the stars that show up on the sites description. I read THAT many poor reviews all saying the exact. same. thing. No one wants to hire them even where the place is accredited. Employers just don't value the degree from there.

I looked further into this and unless you want like a quick trade school type education you should pick a college with a complete distance learning program but with a ground campus. A legit one. Reason being there is education regulated schools and for profit only regulated schools. Almost all online schools are coming up as for profit. The education standards are lowers, the staff and help is not as good, ect ect ect. I went with a good local to my hometown school that had a complete distance learning program accredited in my field since I don't live there anymore. i cant still claim that state on my taxes though and so i qualify for their state financial aid and instate tuition. (though I think I read my school gives all online only students in state tuition and almost all of the classes use their ground campus time zone for deadlines) 

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Kaplan has a campus, though I could have sworn they were nationally credited. Maybe when you looked into it they weren't but I did my research as well and a lot of businesses told me that they accepted kaplan degrees just the same as others.

Also, our deadlines are the same no matter your time zone. Classes end at midnight on Tuesday eastern time, so for me it's 9. I have always found the teachers more than helpful and the best part is the teachers actually work in the field they are teaching, not just teaching you out of a book.

It might not be for everyone, but your facts aren't right. Op, I urge you to do your own research.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

I looked into it and i don't like it. The reviews are terrible even though attendance rate is high. Not a lot of people are getting jobs out of there. They can end up being more costly. They are regionally accredited not nationally which was not cool for my needs. I looked into it a while back but if I remember right they are on pissed off consumer and ripoff report and and so many negative review sites it got to the point I was just doing random searches and looking at the stars that show up on the sites description. I read THAT many poor reviews all saying the exact. same. thing. No one wants to hire them even where the place is accredited. Employers just don't value the degree from there.

I looked further into this and unless you want like a quick trade school type education you should pick a college with a complete distance learning program but with a ground campus. A legit one. Reason being there is education regulated schools and for profit only regulated schools. Almost all online schools are coming up as for profit. The education standards are lowers, the staff and help is not as good, ect ect ect. I went with a good local to my hometown school that had a complete distance learning program accredited in my field since I don't live there anymore. i cant still claim that state on my taxes though and so i qualify for their state financial aid and instate tuition. (though I think I read my school gives all online only students in state tuition and almost all of the classes use their ground campus time zone for deadlines) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Did you know regional accreditation is higher than national accreditation? I just found that out...

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I looked into it, but it's WAY too expensive!!! I took a lot of classes online at my community college and saved myself a ton of money. Online classes can be both good and bad. I find that they require a lot more time than classroom classes because there is so much more reading and writing involved in place of lectures.

teaching_mama
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Kaplan is accredited but does not have the "preferred" accreditation so it is typically harder for graduates to get a job after graduating. I have a cousin who went there for a very short time and quit after finding out it was not going to get her a job. There are lots of good online programs out there...just search for degrees you are interested in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don't like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)