Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dog vet

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM
  • 10 Replies
I don't know whether or not to take my dog to the vet tomorrow. I gave her a can of dog food on Friday and she hasn't had canned dog food in like a year but it was a treat never had problems with it before. For the last two nights she has woken me up mid way through the night to use the bathroom refused to poop outside and has proceeded to come in and have runny stools. She threw up yesterday and she just threw up in my bed. As much as I enjoy staying up for hours with my dog I work. She's managing to hold the poop and throw up in unless I'm in bed? Should I take away the dog food and only leave out a small amount. I work 7-3 today and the vet closes at 4 I won't make it in time and I think they are closed tomorrow. Will they even do anything for throw up and poop. I'll take her Thursday if she's still doing it but I can't take off work to take her and have no one else. Am I just wasting my money taking her? Any tips on what I can do to help her until we can go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AtillaTheHun
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:34 AM

My dog had the same thing. He couldn't hold down anything, not even water, and he also had really bad diarrhea. I took him to the vet, and $350, an I.V., a water depot, and several meds later the situation had not improved at all. A friend told me to get Sucralfate. I asked my vet, paid about $12 dollars, and after giving him just 2 pills he was doing so much better!! If you have a good connection to your vet, call them and ask for the Sucralfate. 

Justine1123
by Justine on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:37 AM
What is Sucralfate? She can hold down water and food like I said she's only threw up twice but it's the pooping and they aren't huge piles but it's enough to be gross. I'm going to see if my mom can take her today while I work.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

My dog had the same thing. He couldn't hold down anything, not even water, and he also had really bad diarrhea. I took him to the vet, and $350, an I.V., a water depot, and several meds later the situation had not improved at all. A friend told me to get Sucralfate. I asked my vet, paid about $12 dollars, and after giving him just 2 pills he was doing so much better!! If you have a good connection to your vet, call them and ask for the Sucralfate. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtillaTheHun
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Sucralfate is actually used to treat ulcers. It coats the digestive tract with some sort of "film" which helps the inner wall of the tract to heal and regenerate. I am not a vet but I think when it helped my puppy with his severe condition, it might be worth a shot to help yours to get better. It was recommended to me by a friend who is also a breeder, and she has been using it successfully with her dogs when they suffered from similar/the same symptoms

Quoting Justine1123:

What is Sucralfate? She can hold down water and food like I said she's only threw up twice but it's the pooping and they aren't huge piles but it's enough to be gross. I'm going to see if my mom can take her today while I work.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

You can try to give her some rice and boiled chicken, incase it is an upset tummy. Sucralfate is kind of a tummy calmer. We used to give it all the time with vomiting and diarrhea cases. IF your mom can take in to the vet see if she can get a fresh stool sample, they may want to check for any worms.  

Justine1123
by Justine on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM
I just threw some in the trash I'd get it out but I also threw some left overs in there lol. I'm sure my mom and get a fresh sample.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

You can try to give her some rice and boiled chicken, incase it is an upset tummy. Sucralfate is kind of a tummy calmer. We used to give it all the time with vomiting and diarrhea cases. IF your mom can take in to the vet see if she can get a fresh stool sample, they may want to check for any worms.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM

If you can't and they really want to do one, they can get it! not hard, just a little uncomfortable for your doggie!

Quoting Justine1123:

I just threw some in the trash I'd get it out but I also threw some left overs in there lol. I'm sure my mom and get a fresh sample.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I would give her cook ground turkey and brown rice for a couple of days.

FDA has approved the use of Pepto and Imodium for dogs- however some breeds can not have imodium.(Collies, Australian Sephards and a few others)

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jenny198356
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Our dog was having the same problem. They said it was tape worms. We caught it before it got worse and he was better within a few days.

mitty18
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Do you free feed your dog?
As for the diarrhea, some dogs get it when they eat wet foods until their systems get used to it. Give your dog pineapple. It is a natural way to treat the runs in a dog.

You may need to stop with the wet foods and get a good quality dry kiddle instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)