Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do you argue like it's a parenting style/choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

When it comes to car seat safety, why argue about what's safe or not? You are either doing it right, or you're doing it wrong. If you're wrong, you are NOT RIGHT. You CAN NOT argue that you're right. There are too many tests, and experts (techs) that have been educated for YOU to aruge that it's okay because some jim bob from what'cha'ma call it's fire station said it was good enough. GET A CLUE!! 

And yes, I'm a tech.

PLEASE take a look at this if you're interested in admitting that you might be doing something wrong, and actually doing something about it.

http://dailymomtra.com/2011/03/30/the-picture-guide-to-car-seat-safety/

Phew. Sorry, I had to say that after that mess of a post that I just read!!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (111-120):
Megan11587
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
And bumpers, sleeping on bellies, Tylenol before vaccines, vaccines in general. The list goes on!

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting Megan11587:

What is 'correct' this year will be 'dangerous' next year lol

Ain't that the truth!  LOL

It's like the drop-sided crib that my boys grew up in.  Considered perfectly safe when they were babies and now it's like *gasp* how dare you use one!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

true, but since noone can agree on proper use, I will continue to do what I feel is best for my children.

Quoting kitty8199:

Proper use isn't a choice its the law.

Some things are choice. Legality is not.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

my kid, my choice.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Probably because like almost everything,  life  is not black and white the way you describe.  My nephew had horrendous motion sickness every single time he rode in the car as an infant.  He vomited every. single. time!  My brother HATED facing him forward at a year.  He knows the stats and all the info, and it killed him to go against the recommendation, but life isn't black and white.  There are outside factors.  And it was both heartbreaking and logistically difficult to clean vomit every single day.  So he made the best, most logical decision for his particular circumstance.  And I don't think he's alone. 

Another situation I've often wondered about:  many infants hate facing backwards and no amount of bottles, toys, music etc will get them to calm down.  Knowing that distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents, I've often wondered what the breakdown is safety-wise.  Is it statistically safer to forward face at a year (thus eliminating the screaming distraction) or is it better to continue to drive distracted by screaming but keep them rear-facing?  I'd honestly be curious to know the difference in those numbers.   See, car seat safety is very important.  I take it very seriously.  But often mothers (and car seat installation techs) like to behave as though it is the ONLY factor in car safety, when it is absolutely not.  Does the parent obey the speed limit?  Use their cell phone when driving?  Drive defensively?  Not drive unecessarily in bad weather?  I don't see posts bashing those common driving mistakes, but I sure a lot of critiquing of car seats installation. 

OP, do you ever exceed the speed limit?  Drive a little aggressively?  Peruse your phone or get distracted by something you're passing?  I'm sure you do.  We all do.  All of those things are large causes of accidents. 

And the fact is that driving our kids in a car is the number one most dangerous thing we do to them every day and that's with everything properly placed.  It just statistically is.  And we will never, ever be able to remove all risk from driving or from life, so we make cost/benefit decisions based on our own circumstances.  And believe it or not, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. 

kit_manson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM
You misunderstand me. I don't live in the states, and he was over 20lbs, not exactly 20. I kept him in the infant seat until he hit the weight limit, then i switched him. He wasn't quite yet one, but he was over the weight limit for my area.

Quoting kitty8199:

That's one thing people misunderstand. It isn't either or, it its both one AND over 20. In ALL states.

There are dozens of seats that still rf at 20 lb, and NOT ONE that says before 23 lb. ALL states have a proper use law.

You don't have to ERF, but follow the minimum at least.

Quoting kit_manson:

Legal standards aren't the same everywhere... I often get bitched out for having my son forward face before one. However, it was legal in my area because he was over 20 lbs. It was also safer than leaving him in a car seat he didn't fit the weight limits of.

Quoting kitty8199:

Some on here don't even follow legal standards

Quoting Susan0805:

It seems legal standards and cm standards are different, lol. With my first kid I did everything "right" according to the laws in my state. With my second kid I did everything "right" according to the more strict CM "laws". LOL!!!

little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I think maybe they have a hat time accepting that they are wrong. Especially when nothing bad has happened so far..

What can you do?
specialwingz
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

It's not a matter of admitting doing something wrong.  When my kids were babies, winter coats and carseats were not an issue.  And, the manuals didn't address any issues regarding the concern.  So, there is no wrong-doing to admit to.  But, younger moms seem to think they know what the norm was back then, when most weren't even born then.

Quoting MommyBoha:

Because they cant admit doing something wrong

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM

There is no 'agree on proper use' 

it is written right in your car seat manual. Plain as day. 

Proper use refers to using the seat as instructed by the manufacturer. and they ALL say it. 

Quoting notjstasocermom:

true, but since noone can agree on proper use, I will continue to do what I feel is best for my children.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

my kid, my choice.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Proper use refers to using the seat as instructed by the manufacturer. and they ALL say it. 

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

my kid, my choice.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You didnt write anything hon. 

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

my kid, my choice.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
The manual tells you proper use. It isn't opinion. Its in black and white

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

my kid, my choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)