Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do you argue like it's a parenting style/choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

When it comes to car seat safety, why argue about what's safe or not? You are either doing it right, or you're doing it wrong. If you're wrong, you are NOT RIGHT. You CAN NOT argue that you're right. There are too many tests, and experts (techs) that have been educated for YOU to aruge that it's okay because some jim bob from what'cha'ma call it's fire station said it was good enough. GET A CLUE!! 

And yes, I'm a tech.

PLEASE take a look at this if you're interested in admitting that you might be doing something wrong, and actually doing something about it.

http://dailymomtra.com/2011/03/30/the-picture-guide-to-car-seat-safety/

Phew. Sorry, I had to say that after that mess of a post that I just read!!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (121-130):
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM
OK. I don't know other countries' laws.

Quoting kit_manson:

You misunderstand me. I don't live in the states, and he was over 20lbs, not exactly 20. I kept him in the infant seat until he hit the weight limit, then i switched him. He wasn't quite yet one, but he was over the weight limit for my area.

Quoting kitty8199:

That's one thing people misunderstand. It isn't either or, it its both one AND over 20. In ALL states.

There are dozens of seats that still rf at 20 lb, and NOT ONE that says before 23 lb. ALL states have a proper use law.

You don't have to ERF, but follow the minimum at least.

Quoting kit_manson:

Legal standards aren't the same everywhere... I often get bitched out for having my son forward face before one. However, it was legal in my area because he was over 20 lbs. It was also safer than leaving him in a car seat he didn't fit the weight limits of.

Quoting kitty8199:

Some on here don't even follow legal standards

Quoting Susan0805:

It seems legal standards and cm standards are different, lol. With my first kid I did everything "right" according to the laws in my state. With my second kid I did everything "right" according to the more strict CM "laws". LOL!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Well, where I live the law is 20 lbs or one year.

Quoting kitty8199:

OK. I don't know other countries' laws.

Quoting kit_manson:

You misunderstand me. I don't live in the states, and he was over 20lbs, not exactly 20. I kept him in the infant seat until he hit the weight limit, then i switched him. He wasn't quite yet one, but he was over the weight limit for my area.

Quoting kitty8199:

That's one thing people misunderstand. It isn't either or, it its both one AND over 20. In ALL states.

There are dozens of seats that still rf at 20 lb, and NOT ONE that says before 23 lb. ALL states have a proper use law.

You don't have to ERF, but follow the minimum at least.

Quoting kit_manson:

Legal standards aren't the same everywhere... I often get bitched out for having my son forward face before one. However, it was legal in my area because he was over 20 lbs. It was also safer than leaving him in a car seat he didn't fit the weight limits of.

Quoting kitty8199:

Some on here don't even follow legal standards

Quoting Susan0805:

It seems legal standards and cm standards are different, lol. With my first kid I did everything "right" according to the laws in my state. With my second kid I did everything "right" according to the more strict CM "laws". LOL!!!

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

So agree Kellie! I don't understand it either. The thing that bothers me most is atleast one person has to say "well I didn't ride in a carseat and I'm alive". One thing I've figured it out is doesn't matter what you say or what proof you show them. It doesn't matter to them that car accidents are the leading cause of death in children between the ages of 1-14. It just flat doesn't matter. They are going to do what is most convenient and easy for them. I think part of it has to do with the fact that the government obviously doesn't care. They want to worry about guns, vaccinations, SIDS, the flu but a child is far far far far far more likely to die in a car accident than any of those but people just simply don't care. 

Personally my kids are the most important thing to me and I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them because I didn't do the safest thing possible for them and it would be even worse if I knew I settled for 2nd best and something happened. I'll do everything I can to keep my kids safe in the car and I just simply don't understand how so many parents are content doing the bare minimum and often times not even that. I'll never understand why a parent would need something to be a law before they would be willing to do what is safest for their child. This is an issue I'll just never understand. If you want to do something to risk your own life, that is your business. But your children depend on you and they have no voice or choice in the matter, don't risk their lives! They deserve better! 

waffa
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

*argues with you for the sake of arguing*

: p

Quoting kelliehelvie:

When it comes to car seat safety, why argue about what's safe or not? You are either doing it right, or you're doing it wrong. If you're wrong, you are NOT RIGHT. You CAN NOT argue that you're right. There are too many tests, and experts (techs) that have been educated for YOU to aruge that it's okay because some jim bob from what'cha'ma call it's fire station said it was good enough. GET A CLUE!! 

And yes, I'm a tech.

PLEASE take a look at this if you're interested in admitting that you might be doing something wrong, and actually doing something about it.

http://dailymomtra.com/2011/03/30/the-picture-guide-to-car-seat-safety/

Phew. Sorry, I had to say that after that mess of a post that I just read!!

LoveOfSign
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Eh. I personally don't get why people here feel the need to bash others VS simply having a conversation when it comes to carseats. That generally throws people off, and makes them argue back. After being bitched out by the "carseat police" on here for FF MY son when he was 2, I decided to stop asking questions on here after that. Give people advice, don't be a jerk about it. Frankly, it's not your job or anyone elses to rip into people on here(not saying you did, just saying it in general for those that do), give the FACTS be NICE about it, and leave it at that.

kelliehelvie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Not true. Proper use is following your maunal (that most people don't even look at).

Quoting notjstasocermom:

true, but since noone can agree on proper use, I will continue to do what I feel is best for my children.

Quoting kitty8199:

Proper use isn't a choice its the law.

Some things are choice. Legality is not.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

my kid, my choice.

kelliehelvie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Quoting Kmary:

Probably because like almost everything,  life  is not black and white the way you describe.  My nephew had horrendous motion sickness every single time he rode in the car as an infant.  He vomited every. single. time!  My brother HATED facing him forward at a year.  He knows the stats and all the info, and it killed him to go against the recommendation, but life isn't black and white.  There are outside factors.  And it was both heartbreaking and logistically difficult to clean vomit every single day.  So he made the best, most logical decision for his particular circumstance.  And I don't think he's alone. -- I wasn't even talking about ERF or anything about a parenting choice, I'm talking about. Straps being loose, straps not in correct position, using bulky clothes etc. Everything that is IN the manual. So yes, the things in the manual are black and white. YOU must do these things.

Another situation I've often wondered about:  many infants hate facing backwards and no amount of bottles, toys, music etc will get them to calm down.  Knowing that distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents, I've often wondered what the breakdown is safety-wise.  Is it statistically safer to forward face at a year (thus eliminating the screaming distraction) or is it better to continue to drive distracted by screaming but keep them rear-facing?  I'd honestly be curious to know the difference in those numbers.   See, car seat safety is very important.  I take it very seriously.  But often mothers (and car seat installation techs) like to behave as though it is the ONLY factor in car safety, when it is absolutely not.  Does the parent obey the speed limit?  Use their cell phone when driving?  Drive defensively?  Not drive unecessarily in bad weather?  I don't see posts bashing those common driving mistakes, but I sure a lot of critiquing of car seats installation. -- Using the word most is incorrect. That's not a statistic, that's out of your head. I know many babies in my life that have no problem with being in a car seat. Again, these are not the things I"m talking about. I'm talking about chest clip being at the chest, straps not as loose as a wet noodle and other very BLACK AND WHITE things.

OP, do you ever exceed the speed limit?  Drive a little aggressively?  Peruse your phone or get distracted by something you're passing?  I'm sure you do.  We all do.  All of those things are large causes of accidents.  

And the fact is that driving our kids in a car is the number one most dangerous thing we do to them every day and that's with everything properly placed.  It just statistically is.  And we will never, ever be able to remove all risk from driving or from life, so we make cost/benefit decisions based on our own circumstances.  And believe it or not, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. 

Christina3024
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Bump, so I can save the link to show family members. They don't understand why I'm so particular with my daughter in her car seat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:34 AM
I go by what the law says. As long as I following the guidelines of law, I really don't want to hear what some so called expert has to say and I most certainly have no problem telling someone to MYOB.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:03 AM

It's only your job if someone asks you about it.

Otherwise, you are just telling people how to raise their children and a lot of people will not tolerate that.

Quoting kelliehelvie:

It's my job to make sure children are in car seats correctly.

Quoting lapcounter:

Why can't people just simply mind their own business?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)