Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Gve me your reviews of whatever diet(s) you've tried... What's worked for you, or hasn't?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 29 Replies

I'm trying to decide how to try to lose the baby weight from my third baby. I decided in advance not to even try until I weaned her off the breast, at one year of age, and she's almost 10 months old now, so I'm starting to think about what I'm going to do. As for me, here's what I've tried in the past...

After my first baby, I biked about 10-15 miles per day, (hilly terrain), + 45 mins at least of strength training 3-4 days a week, + maybe 20 mins of yoga per day. The diet was not so much a diet, as just me requiring myself to eat 9 servings of fruits and veggies per day, 3 servings of low fat dairy, 3 servings of peanut butter, (monounsaturated fats), and 3 servings of WHOLE grains per day. I was keeping my belly so full of healthy things I didn't have room for or crave unhealthy things, even though I didn't actually forbid it.

I tried the South Beach Diet once. It was the only time I've ever actually had a FLAT belly. Even when I've been thin before, I had a little pouchy belly, but this diet did take care of that. HOWEVER, I found it very hard to live with, and despite what they say, I craved sweets ALL the time. I was consuming probably way too much artificial sweetener, trying to assuage my sweet tooth without breaking the diet. Also, I was VERY gassy from all the veggies. Also it was expensive, because of all the fresh veggies you have to buy. The veggies take up your whole fridge. Forget about fitting it all into the actual veggie drawer of the fridge.  It does work though, if you can stick with it, but that's the problem.

What about you? What's worked for you? What have you tried that DIDN'T work?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

BUMP!

loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

BUMP!

Lindsey1112
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I counted calories. I got a app on my phone called my fitness app I think u can log on on a computer as well just make an account and u add all the food in u eat plus drink. And u also worked out every other day. I lost about 30 pounds. U just have to keep up in it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamombygrace
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I've lost about 40 pds since May. What worked for me was virtually no sugar, low carb, more protein, swapped to all whole grains, added more veg/fruit and no sodas. I also cut portions and eat three meals with two snacks.
.shank.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Clean eating, whole foods. No processed shit. Be active.

You'll lose weight and feel better. No counting calories and all that crap. Its that simple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

big fan of weight watchers....you can live on it because you can eat what you want...it isn't fast but it definately works well.

loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM

My mom and brother lost a lot of weight on that. For me, it seems like too much math. I hate math, lol.

Quoting ditsyjo:

big fan of weight watchers....you can live on it because you can eat what you want...it isn't fast but it definately works well.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I had diettogo.com send food to me. I ate only what they sent and lost 25 lbs. I did their low carb plan and also walked an hour almost everyday.

You may also want to ask for tips on our weight loss group...

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM

do the online version... no math required. You just enter the food and the computer figures out the points.they even have a smart phone app for when you are out.

Quoting loisl25:

My mom and brother lost a lot of weight on that. For me, it seems like too much math. I hate math, lol.

Quoting ditsyjo:

TheMeanestMom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I was going to suggest south beach when I saw the title. It's the only diet that's ever worked for me. But I agree so hard to live with. I just read Women Food and God and I really recommend it. It's about intuitive eating and listening to your body and giving up the battle of fighting with yourself about your weight. I'd highly recommend it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN