Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To all Spanish speaking mommies !

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hello I was wondering if you speak to your kiddos in Spanish or English, for those who didn't teach them Spanish as a primary language do you plan on still teaching them and how?? Because I made the mistake of not teaching my daughter Spanish as her primary language and now thAt I'm trying its a lot more complicated! Any suggestions or advice on that ? :D thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
camsmami
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Lol. I always told my husband NOT to teach our daughter Spanish. Id be so screwed. even tho Im Latin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
We speak both. My oldest can understand some
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeline
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
DF speaks Spanish to our kids, and I speak English . We're hoping they'll just pick it up lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I intended to teach ds around age 5 but he has a severe speech delay and autism. I figure he should master English first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I speak friendly spanish.    I could help you find your bus station or tell you where the nearest bathroom - even discuss a book in spanish but English is my primary language.

as a teacher i say - really look at your kid as an individual -   how are they with processing language?   my son struggles in language and is two years ahead in math - needless to say we are leaving the other languages out of the mix unless he asks how we say something in spanish.   if he was very advanced in language i might try to teach him phrases,  but not the written language until he was firm with reading in English at first.   

inspain
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

When DD1 was born, we lived in South Carolina.  I spoke to DD1 primarily in English, but would speak to her in Spanish too.  I even had a woman, who overheard me speaking in Spanish to my then two year-old, tell me, "You need to be teachin' that baby English first."  I told her to mind her own effing business.  

DD1 had a rudimentary grasp of Spanish when we moved to Cost Rica six years ago.  DD1 is now fluent and we still speak mostly English at home.  DD2 will live in Costa Rica or some Spanish-speaking country for the foreseeable future.  I expect she will be fluent sooner than DD1 was.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Though as a child it depends on how you're trying to teach them. You want your language teaching to be a few levels below their primary language level. As in, at age 5 if you try to teach verb conjugation it might be hard given that they haven't learned English verb conjugation.

Just work on simple phrases for fun and vocab. Vocab is THE most important element you can teach at this juncture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyoftwoluvs
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I think she picks things up quick I just wanna know if there are ways to show them or easier ways cuz I feel now it's more complicate and I want my kids to be bilingul :)) !

Quoting AmaliaD:

I speak friendly spanish.    I could help you find your bus station or tell you where the nearest bathroom - even discuss a book in spanish but English is my primary language.

as a teacher i say - really look at your kid as an individual -   how are they with processing language?   my son struggles in language and is two years ahead in math - needless to say we are leaving the other languages out of the mix unless he asks how we say something in spanish.   if he was very advanced in language i might try to teach him phrases,  but not the written language until he was firm with reading in English at first.   

Mommyoftwoluvs
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping my kids pick it up aswell

Quoting angeline:

DF speaks Spanish to our kids, and I speak English . We're hoping they'll just pick it up lol

AubreeG16
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a Spanish speaking momma, but I taught my daughter sign language. I have 28 month old twins, and her brother wasn't/isn't very good at speaking English yet. Lol. But what I did is I would sign the words as I was saying them, and she caught right on. With Spanish you could be like Dora and say the words simultaneously so she picks up on the relationship between them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)