Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Calling CM doctors!!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
Both my LOs were sent home from school because they were coughing extremely hard. When dh got there to pick the kids up, the nurse said dd had a fever of 107 - I'm assuming she meant 100.7, but dh swears she said 107. I took her temp as soon as she got home and it was 98.5. I gave both of them cough medicine, but it isn't helping at all.

Ds has had a persistent cough for a while. He will get it, it lasts a few weeks, goes away and comes back a week or two later. He's been to the dr for it and they keep giving him antibiotics. Well, it's back again and now dd has it as well. They are both going to the dr in about 45 minutes.

I'm just curious as to what this could be. The first time ds had this cough I figured it was just a cold. But he keeps getting it! Any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Irishmommy860
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'm not a dr but what were they doing when it started? asthma or allergies maybe?

dingysfamily
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

This exactly!

Quoting Irishmommy860:

I'm not a dr but what were they doing when it started? asthma or allergies maybe?

Des10ed2b
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

it could be the dry air, it could be allergies, it could be asthma, it could be SO many things. Unfortunately, just knowing it is a cough isnt a lot to go off of. And i agree, the temp was likely 100.7. at 107 she would have been bordering on unconscious if she wasnt already there and there is no way that a temp could drop almost 10 degrees that quickly. If her temp hit 107 they would have been calling an ambulance first! 

MeghanPerez
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Neither of them have allergies or asthma (that we know of). This has never happened before. They've had colds, but nothing this persistent. This is the third time ds has come down with this terrible cough since November.

Quoting Irishmommy860:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeghanPerez
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM
That's exactly what I told dh. I gave her a fever reducer just to be safe.

Quoting Des10ed2b:

it could be the dry air, it could be allergies, it could be asthma, it could be SO many things. Unfortunately, just knowing it is a cough isnt a lot to go off of. And i agree, the temp was likely 100.7. at 107 she would have been bordering on unconscious if she wasnt already there and there is no way that a temp could drop almost 10 degrees that quickly. If her temp hit 107 they would have been calling an ambulance first! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Irishmommy860
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM

THere are so many allergens out there that it's difficult to pin them all down. Given it's happened multiple times with your son, and now with your daughter whom I assume was in the same location...Maybe something to seriously look at. Are you in one of the frigid states?? Super cold can irritate the lungs too. I'm certain there was no fever of 107 as that would be grounds for hospitalization

Quoting MeghanPerez:

Neither of them have allergies or asthma (that we know of). This has never happened before. They've had colds, but nothing this persistent. This is the third time ds has come down with this terrible cough since November.

Quoting Irishmommy860:

Live,Laugh, Love and at the end of the day....drink wine!

laughing

MeghanPerez
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
We are in Illinois. Today the temp is around 3 degrees, but with the windchill it feels like -15.

I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe something in our house. It sat empty for over 2 years before we moved in.

Quoting Irishmommy860:

THere are so many allergens out there that it's difficult to pin them all down. Given it's happened multiple times with your son, and now with your daughter whom I assume was in the same location...Maybe something to seriously look at. Are you in one of the frigid states?? Super cold can irritate the lungs too. I'm certain there was no fever of 107 as that would be grounds for hospitalization

Quoting MeghanPerez:

Quoting Irishmommy860:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyKids84_
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My son once had this persistant cough,no fever,but cough medicine was not helping,his DR said it was a virus and it's called a Barking Cough,it went away in 2 weeks or so.

ILoveMyKids84_ Formerly _WC_Mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN