Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can a school.make you.put ur kid on adhd meds? UPDATE SPOKE WITH TEACHER

Posted by   + Show Post
so my.6 yr old was on focalin from may of last year- 2 weeks ago due to him having bad side effects. his doctor recommended we discontinue so we did and we dont plan to start back. his teacher has been sending notes home he cant focus,he is acting bad ect. today she sent a note home she is havin problems with.his behavior and she needs to meet with us. im sure she wants him back.on meds. my husband says he is not putting him back on meds. can they make us?

UPDATE: so i.spoke with his teacher she said he is constantly in trouble,wont leave the other kids alone,cant focus,cant finish his work and if he keeps going like he is going he wont.pass kindergarden. against dh's wishes i made an appoinment for 9 am to bring him in to get put on something.else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (101-105):
HelloSweetie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Have you tried dietary changes before meds?

Fiengold

WebMD on dietary changes for ADHD

There isn’t a specific diet or magic vitamin that will curb hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and other symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but steering clear of certain unhealthy foods may make a difference, a new review shows.

Foods that may predispose a child to ADHD include:

• Fast foods
  • Red meat
  • Processed meats
  • Potato chips
  • High-fat dairy foods
  • Soft drinks
motamaid
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Do some research. There are lots of food and vitamin/minerals that may help without stimulant drugs. Some ppl even use coffee. Some ppl stay away from artificial colors and preservatives. Educate yourself. read about the Feingold Diet. read a book you van get cheap on amazon called feeding the starving mind or something of that nature. I bought it and read it few months or more ago.

Go to sites online and read about tactiles and things they can do in the class. If you don't educate yourself you arent helping anything.

My son has an extremely mild case of ADHD. He basically used to chewup pencils and erasers and had his hands fiddling all the time and hummed constantly and moved his legs and feet and likes to talk out of turn. A lot . He is very sweet and gentile, friendly, and nice, never rude or mean. We do have him on Focalin XR 5 mg only on school days and also every day give him chewable probiotocs, miltivitamin with iron, a small dose magnesium suppliment and fish oil. It all has done wonders for him. And we don't do artificial colors like yellow 5, red lake , etc as much as possible. And we cook from scratch most of the time anyways so don't have processed and artificially preserved stuff that often. Go on Meetups.com or Google some parent support groups for ADHD and get a network who can direct you to the best help and serivices and give you advice and opinions to weigh. This all has been helping us immensly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
homeschoolx3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Too many teachers are lazy and want drugged children in their class because god forbid they actually do the job they were hired to do. If you can, you would probily be better off home schooling him.

supermom0609
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM
i wish i could but ive got a new baby due in august theres no.way id have time

Quoting homeschoolx3:

Too many teachers are lazy and want drugged children in their class because god forbid they actually do the job they were hired to do. If you can, you would probily be better off home schooling him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM

my son has adhd and odd and has iep  and a meeting once a month  or maybe longer it all  depends has his days has been or if he been to cool down  so many times in the month  

and he 10 now   and he been on off meds since the age of 5  right now he on 2 meds    i dont what him on meds  but like a year ago or so we was told not by the school by some one else  if we didnt get my son back on meds that she would turn us in   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN