Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can a school.make you.put ur kid on adhd meds? UPDATE SPOKE WITH TEACHER

Posted by   + Show Post
so my.6 yr old was on focalin from may of last year- 2 weeks ago due to him having bad side effects. his doctor recommended we discontinue so we did and we dont plan to start back. his teacher has been sending notes home he cant focus,he is acting bad ect. today she sent a note home she is havin problems with.his behavior and she needs to meet with us. im sure she wants him back.on meds. my husband says he is not putting him back on meds. can they make us?

UPDATE: so i.spoke with his teacher she said he is constantly in trouble,wont leave the other kids alone,cant focus,cant finish his work and if he keeps going like he is going he wont.pass kindergarden. against dh's wishes i made an appoinment for 9 am to bring him in to get put on something.else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM
we are going to try therapy to help him instead of meds and im getting him a wii with a bunch of interactive games to.help.burn energy too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Emmy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM

then see what the therapist has to say about school first...sounds like his teacher wants it all her way

Quoting supermom0609:

we start family.therapy.friday

Quoting heartnhidin:

Oh okay. Well I would call a meeting and discuss a behavior plan now. Does he see a therapist?

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

SerenityBerry
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM

No they can't make you put your child on meds. Don't let them tell you otherwise or try to bully you into it. 

supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM
well in my opinion if she cant handle him without meds she has no.business being a "teacher" not every parent wants thier kid on meds

Quoting emmy526:

then see what the therapist has to say about school first...sounds like his teacher wants it all her way

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting heartnhidin:

Oh okay. Well I would call a meeting and discuss a behavior plan now. Does he see a therapist?

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Most kids with ADHD do not qualify for an IEP, but you could get a 504. My DS is not medicated and has a 504. The other 5 ADHD kids in his class are medicated. The school would like for us to get him in therapy, but we just can't afford it right now. I would meet with his teacher and the school counselor to see what they recommend.

heartnhidin
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM
That's good. My son has ADHD also, so I understand how difficult it can be. If you don't see a change from the family therapist you can look into a behavioral therapist. Also cutting things out of his diet may help.

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting heartnhidin:

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
whats a 504?

Quoting robbinsroost:

Most kids with ADHD do not qualify for an IEP, but you could get a 504. My DS is not medicated and has a 504. The other 5 ADHD kids in his class are medicated. The school would like for us to get him in therapy, but we just can't afford it right now. I would meet with his teacher and the school counselor to see what they recommend.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this

No, they can't make you.  Nor do they necessarily want him to be medicated.  Contrary to what a lot of people think, teachers do not automatically want their students medicated.  As a teacher myself, I never really wanted to see my students medicated unless it was working well and had no ill side effects (rare, in my opinion)  But they do expect that a parent who refuses to medicate be open to other solutions such as behavior modifications, therapy, a specific IEP or 504 plan, etc.   and that the parents will do their part to be helpful, involved, supportive and all of that.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM
They can't make you but if his learning is being affected, why not consider it? Doing nothing won't help him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM

why do you think  kids with adhd dont qualify for an iep 

i have adhd and i had an iep all through school

Quoting robbinsroost:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)