Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can a school.make you.put ur kid on adhd meds? UPDATE SPOKE WITH TEACHER

Posted by   + Show Post
so my.6 yr old was on focalin from may of last year- 2 weeks ago due to him having bad side effects. his doctor recommended we discontinue so we did and we dont plan to start back. his teacher has been sending notes home he cant focus,he is acting bad ect. today she sent a note home she is havin problems with.his behavior and she needs to meet with us. im sure she wants him back.on meds. my husband says he is not putting him back on meds. can they make us?

UPDATE: so i.spoke with his teacher she said he is constantly in trouble,wont leave the other kids alone,cant focus,cant finish his work and if he keeps going like he is going he wont.pass kindergarden. against dh's wishes i made an appoinment for 9 am to bring him in to get put on something.else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Basically is a plan for your child classifying him as disabled, but still learning the same curriculum as his peers. With one in place the school has to provide modifications to help facilitate learning. My DS get preferential seating, breaks when overstressed, supervision in the halls, no supplies on his desk, etc.

Quoting supermom0609:

whats a 504?

Quoting robbinsroost:

Most kids with ADHD do not qualify for an IEP, but you could get a 504. My DS is not medicated and has a 504. The other 5 ADHD kids in his class are medicated. The school would like for us to get him in therapy, but we just can't afford it right now. I would meet with his teacher and the school counselor to see what they recommend.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM

No they can not.

A teacher does not have the authority to make medical decisions for your child.

She probably wants to talk about the realities of what is going on in the classroom, however.

proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM
No they cant make that decision for you or force you to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Exactly.

Quoting Kmary:

No, they can't make you.  Nor do they necessarily want him to be medicated.  Contrary to what a lot of people think, teachers do not automatically want their students medicated.  As a teacher myself, I never really wanted to see my students medicated unless it was working well and had no ill side effects (rare, in my opinion)  But they do expect that a parent who refuses to medicate be open to other solutions such as behavior modifications, therapy, a specific IEP or 504 plan, etc.   and that the parents will do their part to be helpful, involved, supportive and all of that.

robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Most kids with ADHD are still capable of learning the same content as their peers. An IEP is used to set educational goals, not provide modifications for students.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

why do you think  kids with adhd dont qualify for an iep 

i have adhd and i had an iep all through school

Quoting robbinsroost:

Most kids with ADHD do not qualify for an IEP, but you could get a 504. My DS is not medicated and has a 504. The other 5 ADHD kids in his class are medicated. The school would like for us to get him in therapy, but we just can't afford it right now. I would meet with his teacher and the school counselor to see what they recommend.

kris0921
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM
No. Tell them to find other ways to help him without him being medicated. I am an ABA IT, and cant stand to see kids on meds, when their problem behaviors can be dealt with differently. You can get a child to focus, even a very severe form of ADHD and ADD without meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by Lara on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM
No, they can't.

However, she may want to discuss his behavior and come up with some ways to help him focus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
i am for this 100% as i stated i.called last week to see if i could get him an iep and we are starting.therapy friday

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Exactly.

Quoting Kmary:

No, they can't make you.  Nor do they necessarily want him to be medicated.  Contrary to what a lot of people think, teachers do not automatically want their students medicated.  As a teacher myself, I never really wanted to see my students medicated unless it was working well and had no ill side effects (rare, in my opinion)  But they do expect that a parent who refuses to medicate be open to other solutions such as behavior modifications, therapy, a specific IEP or 504 plan, etc.   and that the parents will do their part to be helpful, involved, supportive and all of that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM
No. Ask for a 504, it's for medical diagnosis. The key, the adhd, has to effect his academic progress...which if he's diagnosed it probably does. Most states have started accepting adhd as a medical diagnosis, but I believe there are some who have not. Are you working with an advocacy group? If not I would suggest finding one since the school doesn't sound like they are advocating for you or your child.

Good Luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Once you request an IEP at max they have 60 days to have a meeting. They will evaluate him for speech or occupational therapy and have him work with a psychologist. But if the teacher knows what's going on, they can start earlier. I've done this with 2 school districts. She probably just wants to talk about options. You said he was having side effects with the focalin but have you tried other meds or even non stimulants?

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN