Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can a school.make you.put ur kid on adhd meds? UPDATE SPOKE WITH TEACHER

Posted by   + Show Post
so my.6 yr old was on focalin from may of last year- 2 weeks ago due to him having bad side effects. his doctor recommended we discontinue so we did and we dont plan to start back. his teacher has been sending notes home he cant focus,he is acting bad ect. today she sent a note home she is havin problems with.his behavior and she needs to meet with us. im sure she wants him back.on meds. my husband says he is not putting him back on meds. can they make us?

UPDATE: so i.spoke with his teacher she said he is constantly in trouble,wont leave the other kids alone,cant focus,cant finish his work and if he keeps going like he is going he wont.pass kindergarden. against dh's wishes i made an appoinment for 9 am to bring him in to get put on something.else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM
No, they can't. But they can (and sometimes will) try to push you into it...it happened to my friend's parents. They bought into the scare tactics and medicated him :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
no i havent. im not totally agsinst him being on meds IF it helps him and not.calm him down TOO much and give.him bad side effects.but.i.have to respect dh's wishes too and he doesnt want.him on meds

Quoting AlohaTink:

Once you request an IEP at max they have 60 days to have a meeting. They will evaluate him for speech or occupational therapy and have him work with a psychologist. But if the teacher knows what's going on, they can start earlier. I've done this with 2 school districts. She probably just wants to talk about options. You said he was having side effects with the focalin but have you tried other meds or even non stimulants?

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM
is there a difference between a iep and 504? and i.have no.idea about any advovacy groups
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Absolutely not! It is ALWAYS the parents decision whether or not to medicate their child. The school probably  just wants to meet with you to discuss behaviors, try to find out what THEY can do to help at school, and find out what YOU are doing at home to help. 

AlohaTink
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Check out additide.com. I used it a lot when ds was getting his diagnosis and evals. Very helpful and a lot if great information. And I understand respecting your husbands wishes but if its detrimental to your sons well being and education then you need to step up. I did all my sons ADHD stuff against his fathers wishes and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The change in him was remarkable. Ds also did behavior therapy. If you ever need help pm me. I've been on this journey for a year and a half. But you will get through it :)

Quoting supermom0609:

no i havent. im not totally agsinst him being on meds IF it helps him and not.calm him down TOO much and give.him bad side effects.but.i.have to respect dh's wishes too and he doesnt want.him on meds

Quoting AlohaTink:

Once you request an IEP at max they have 60 days to have a meeting. They will evaluate him for speech or occupational therapy and have him work with a psychologist. But if the teacher knows what's going on, they can start earlier. I've done this with 2 school districts. She probably just wants to talk about options. You said he was having side effects with the focalin but have you tried other meds or even non stimulants?

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM

have you tried strattera?

my son is on that with good results

supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM
not only.dh he has a very.close relationship with his grandmother and she pretty.much acts like im the worlds worst mother for ever putting him on it.the first time. she tells dh please dont let him get put on meds again and of course he will listen to her

Quoting AlohaTink:

Check out additide.com. I used it a lot when ds was getting his diagnosis and evals. Very helpful and a lot if great information. And I understand respecting your husbands wishes but if its detrimental to your sons well being and education then you need to step up. I did all my sons ADHD stuff against his fathers wishes and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The change in him was remarkable. Ds also did behavior therapy. If you ever need help pm me. I've been on this journey for a year and a half. But you will get through it :)

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting AlohaTink:

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM
only thing we have tried is focalin

Quoting silverdawn99:

have you tried strattera?

my son is on that with good results

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

No they can't but it sounds like you could be doing more, sorry.

1likeme
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Of course they can't make you. They can't even tell you your child should be medicated. They should put together a behavior plan for him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN