Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can a school.make you.put ur kid on adhd meds? UPDATE SPOKE WITH TEACHER

Posted by   + Show Post
so my.6 yr old was on focalin from may of last year- 2 weeks ago due to him having bad side effects. his doctor recommended we discontinue so we did and we dont plan to start back. his teacher has been sending notes home he cant focus,he is acting bad ect. today she sent a note home she is havin problems with.his behavior and she needs to meet with us. im sure she wants him back.on meds. my husband says he is not putting him back on meds. can they make us?

UPDATE: so i.spoke with his teacher she said he is constantly in trouble,wont leave the other kids alone,cant focus,cant finish his work and if he keeps going like he is going he wont.pass kindergarden. against dh's wishes i made an appoinment for 9 am to bring him in to get put on something.else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM
and what else should i be doing that im not?

Quoting CABZS:

No they can't but it sounds like you could be doing more, sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Different meds, diet change, allergy testing, different focus & discipline techniques  are all starters.

You are refusing meds and your child continues to struggle, which means you could be doing more.

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting CABZS:

supermom0609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM
and i.just had this exact conversation with dh and asked him is it fair to let landan struggle in school.and refuse him meds? we agreed that our plan,for now,is to.try.to get an iep or 504 asap and we have an evaluation set up feb 25th and pending those results if he has adhd or whatever and they recommend meds we will re consider. we are starting therapy.friday and i hope to gain disipline skills for him through that

Quoting CABZS:

Different meds, diet change, allergy testing, different focus & discipline techniques  are all starters.

You are refusing meds and your child continues to struggle, which means you could be doing more.

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting CABZS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM

If he doesn't qualify for an IEP ask about a 504

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

Sammi20
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM

No, they can't make you. It's your choice! But they might move him to a special class....

Renee-H
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM
There are others medications that you can try, I have two daughters both ADHD but need completely different meds. One needs concerta which is a stimulant and the other needs intuniv which is a non stimulant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM
im going to.when we meet with her tommarrow i.hope

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

If he doesn't qualify for an IEP ask about a 504

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM
yes im aware of.that. dh and i discussed the option of another medicine and we agreed we will.wait until.after his evaluation to see proof of exactly.what he has/doesnt have

Quoting Renee-H:

There are others medications that you can try, I have two daughters both ADHD but need completely different meds. One needs concerta which is a stimulant and the other needs intuniv which is a non stimulant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heartfelt3
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
No they can't,he to young for meds i won't do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)