Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm scared to go to the, dentist

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 11 Replies
Ill admit it haven't been there, in, a long time and I really need to go. Need multiple fillings teeth puked etc. My dental insurance sucks. And I have a feling ill need a lot of work done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Doc.Mc.Lissa
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Dental work is crazy expensive! But, the longer you wait, the more damage can happen. And more damage means $$$$!! I went to the dentist the fall of 2011. All I needed were fillings (quite a bit..) and my wisdom teeth pulled and it was going to be like $700 after insurance. I didn't get it done, and just shelled out $600 for a root canal, and need another. Total estimate this time is close to $1500 and that doesn't include the wisdom teeth! Don't wait!!

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

The longer you wait, the worse it could get.  Can you set up a payment plan if it's super expensive?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Yup I am a fool for not going in when i got a dental injury due to my fears and no insurance , it has gotten worse of course.

pcsainco
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Definitely talk with your dentist and make it clear that you're going to be paying out of pocket for a lot of the work and want only to do what is most necessary. Most dentists will work with you to get your mouth to a healthier place...maybe even a payment plan for major stuff.

Start going for regular checkups to take care of your investment, too!

(As an aside, I think you might find that dental work isn't a painful as your might remember...there's been a lot of advancements in pain management. I had a root canal about two years ago and didn't feel a thing!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMommy8908
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

girl i feel you, my teeth and gums have been acting up really bad recently and they look horrible. I have a horrible anxiety about going to the dentist, and its freaking me out.

I'm scared to go,

but im scared not to go.

I'm pretty sure I have something called peridontal disease or something and it  is severly affecting my gums...

I wish there was a magical way to make it all get taken care of and me not have to be awake.

But since im 24weeks pregnant i cant get sedation....

Due9
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Get the nitrous oxide/laughing gas. That' s what I do. It calms me down. It costs extra, but it's worth it.

kaidansmylife
by Stacie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I hate dentists they scare the shit out of me. My dentist is awesome he calls me in a script and it works in conjunction with the goofy gas and you won't care if an elephant lands a big brown surprise on your head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lynettemommie4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I spent a thousand back in august to get my teeth done. I agree with a few others dont wait. I put it off and put it off. Well my teeth were too bad to repair so I have false teeth. Still need to do work on my bottom teeth. But not as bad as top was.

mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Good luck!!! Do a little bit each time.Yes, ask if they offer a payment plan.

squeekers
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I'll hide with you. I need serious work and am quite dental phobic. If you want me I'll be over there in the couch fort hiding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)