Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm scared to go to the, dentist

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 11 Replies
Ill admit it haven't been there, in, a long time and I really need to go. Need multiple fillings teeth puked etc. My dental insurance sucks. And I have a feling ill need a lot of work done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Doc.Mc.Lissa
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Dental work is crazy expensive! But, the longer you wait, the more damage can happen. And more damage means $$$$!! I went to the dentist the fall of 2011. All I needed were fillings (quite a bit..) and my wisdom teeth pulled and it was going to be like $700 after insurance. I didn't get it done, and just shelled out $600 for a root canal, and need another. Total estimate this time is close to $1500 and that doesn't include the wisdom teeth! Don't wait!!

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

The longer you wait, the worse it could get.  Can you set up a payment plan if it's super expensive?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Yup I am a fool for not going in when i got a dental injury due to my fears and no insurance , it has gotten worse of course.

pcsainco
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Definitely talk with your dentist and make it clear that you're going to be paying out of pocket for a lot of the work and want only to do what is most necessary. Most dentists will work with you to get your mouth to a healthier place...maybe even a payment plan for major stuff.

Start going for regular checkups to take care of your investment, too!

(As an aside, I think you might find that dental work isn't a painful as your might remember...there's been a lot of advancements in pain management. I had a root canal about two years ago and didn't feel a thing!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMommy8908
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

girl i feel you, my teeth and gums have been acting up really bad recently and they look horrible. I have a horrible anxiety about going to the dentist, and its freaking me out.

I'm scared to go,

but im scared not to go.

I'm pretty sure I have something called peridontal disease or something and it  is severly affecting my gums...

I wish there was a magical way to make it all get taken care of and me not have to be awake.

But since im 24weeks pregnant i cant get sedation....

Due9
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Get the nitrous oxide/laughing gas. That' s what I do. It calms me down. It costs extra, but it's worth it.

kaidansmylife
by Stacie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I hate dentists they scare the shit out of me. My dentist is awesome he calls me in a script and it works in conjunction with the goofy gas and you won't care if an elephant lands a big brown surprise on your head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lynettemommie4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I spent a thousand back in august to get my teeth done. I agree with a few others dont wait. I put it off and put it off. Well my teeth were too bad to repair so I have false teeth. Still need to do work on my bottom teeth. But not as bad as top was.

mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Good luck!!! Do a little bit each time.Yes, ask if they offer a payment plan.

squeekers
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”— Richard David Bach (born 1936) Writer
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I'll hide with you. I need serious work and am quite dental phobic. If you want me I'll be over there in the couch fort hiding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN