Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone have or had the Mirena iud? Thoughts? Maybe TMI

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

So my OBGYN wants to put in a Mirena iud to help with a medical issue not for birth control(I had a tubal 2,5 years ago) To make a long story short I have many many many uterine polyps and she feels the iud will help reduce blood flow and the hormones down there which in turn should decrease the size and number of polyps. If the polyps were not bothering me I would just let it go but I am in a lot of pain. My periouds are AWFUL! I now have to deal with sciatica pain and MAJOR cramping throught out the month not just during my periods, Sorry for TMI.

So my questions are : Have you ever had Mirena? Did it hurt going in or hurt at anytime while it was in? Side effects??? Anything else you feel I should know about it. Thanks in advance!

The info on line is so confusing and I really just want a real person from cm's opinion,

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RavenFW28
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi, I have mirena. I've had it for about four months now. It did not hurt when getting it put it in but within the hour I did have some pretty strong cramps. It does cause you to bleed for awhile. The longevity of the bleeding varies. Mine was for a month straight. Since I've had mirena the upside is I don't have my menstrual cycle anymore, just cramping and spotting for a 1-2 days a month. I know you said it was suggested to you for medical reasons and I just got it because I tried all of the other forms for birth control and wanted to try this one! I'm sure the side effects may vary from person to person but I have no complaints besides the month of bleeding in the beginning! I hope I've helped you out some.
BabyGsMommy11
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I was not the poster child for Mirena. My body couldn't handle the hormones. I also had it put in at my 6 week pp appt. The manufacturer recommends not having one put in until 12-16 weeks PP when you have a c-section.

Because my cervix was not yet back to normal it caused a lot of scarring and come to find out my cervix was too small for the device.

We got lucky and got pregnant again immediately after having it removed and I will be having my tubes tied.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RavenFW28
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
How long did you have mirena? I've heard that it may cause infertility so although we have decided we don't want anymore children, we may change our mind. Hopefully it doesn't cause any infertility for us!
addyangel
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I have Mirena and I had it put in 4 weeks PP after a C-section. Insertion was uncomfortable and I bled for a month afterwards. I have not had a period but I'm also BF-ing. I haven't had any problems with it since, but I have been shedding a ton of hair and I read that this is a possible side effect. It's a bit unnerving, because it is a LOT.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcphersonkj
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Thank you ladies!

ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I had cramping when mine was put it. Everything was fine for the first year. I never had a period, but did have some bleeding after it was inserted. Sometimes I would cramp a little when my cycle would have normally started. Everything was great until a year later, I started having severe abdominal pains and had to have it removed. There was no damage found from it, but the pain was similar to the contractions I had towards the middle of childbirth. I haven't met anyone that had this same reaction, but I would never get one again.

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I currently have my second Mirena.  I had my first for the full five years and had the new one placed the day that one came out.  Honestly - I LOVE Mirena.

The side-effects I have had are:

-ZERO periods for 5.5+ years.  I had minor spotting (so minor that I never need more than ONE panty-liner and that was a 'period' every 6-8 weeks for the first 6 months...since then nothing at all!
 -Weight loss -- after getting the first one placed - I lost weight without even trying.  Now that I am living a different life-style...the weight is REALLY coming off.
-Increased sex-drive.  Porr DH can hardly keep up with me!
-No migraines - I had been getting monthly migraines on birth control pills...in the last 5.5 years I have had two migraines and they were both stress relted.
-No mood swings - I am not on the emotional roller coaster that I was on the pill.

It did hurt when I had the first one placed.  My GYN did insertion while you were on your period - my preiods were horrible and crampy....after he placed the Mirena - it felt like I had been punched in the gut.  The rest of that day was miserable - crampy and my flow was even heavier than usual (sorry TMI).  But, when I woke up the next morning, I felt fine and my period was GONE (so far, never to return again).
DH and I have a very active sex-life (again, sorry TMI) - but no matter what position, etc we are in he has never had an issue with feeling the Mirena.  
When I got the second one in - as I mentioned before I had it inserted in the same appintment that the first one was removed.  Since I no longer have periods - I wasn't already crampy and bleeding when the swtich was done.  The removal was uncomfortable -- as was the insertion....but it wasn't nearly as bad as the first time (felt crampy, not like my doc had hit me).  By that evening I was feeling fine.

Anyway - that's my personal experiences.

Good luck with whatever you decide!! :-) 

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I'm with TableforSeven,I LOVE the Mirena.I had my first one in for the full 5 yrs.Zero periods or spotting,no weight gain or mood swings,no cramping,no pain,nothing.The strings were a little bothersome at first but had a 5 minute office visit to get them snipped as short as possible and problem solved.

The insertion was pretty painless.It was a crampy feeling for about 10 seconds and then it was over.I did spot a little and cramped for the rest of the day but that was it.The removal was even easier.I don't have my second one yet because we're TTC but as soon as we have another baby or decide to stop trying,I'll be getting another Mirena for sure!

teaching_mama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I HATED mirena!!! I had spotty irregular periods, gained and could not lose weight, mood swings/irritability, hair loss, phantom pregnancy and just a feeling if not being myself in general. All of this went away/improved shortly after having it removed. I do not reccommend it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meXtwo
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

after my second baby i got it, when my doc first put it in it was VERY uncomfortable and for the rest of the day i had really bad cramps but the next day it was fine....i'm still a newbie at it (i got it in October) but so far so good i dont feel it at all, i dont have to really worry about it and as a bonus it has helped me lose a lot of the baby weight without even trying.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)