Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

im a potty training failer...hell a failer over all!!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 28 Replies

God i fail. iv talked some some people read what theyahve done. talked to my mom. read post after post on cm about how kids should be potty trained or your lazy. and i feel bad. Iv tried off and on since she turned 2. started with morning sits on the potty. but it was hit or miss and we couldnt never time it right. OR she would scream and kick and get up set. yesterday she started sittign on it with out fighting so i thought ok. lets do this!

Woke up today at 8. put her on potty first thing gave her some milk...then breakfast. she sat there happy for 30 min but no potty. so i figure she peed just as she woke up in bed. so i stand her up put on new tink undies (she lvoes tink thought it might help) she peed....just as soon as she stood up she peed! So off they come and we sit to see if she needs to finish. 15 min she wants up so she stand up i put on undies and she finishes!!!

at this point i think ok she is good for at least half hour. I set timer to try again in 30 min. we put on the tink undies and SHE runs to the kitchen to play..but comes back like 2 seconds later and come sto me turns around and i smell it! she pooped!!!!!!!

its only 10 am and im done and in tears because i dont know what im doing wrong!! all the family i talk to say she should be potty trained and talking there must be something wrong with her. MIL says it wont happen till she is 3 just like her daddy be cause apparntly my genetics dont matter. her temperment, her looks everything comes form daddys side not my side!!! her blond hair, daddy (im blond for christ sakes!) she is used to cold because he is norwegeion by a 1/4...(im half norwegen) im just so fed up and tired of people saying im failing!!!! i know i screw up i know im bad at this! but i dont know what else to do!!! and here i have another baby on the way and i can screw up him to!

i hope im just hormonal today. but i just cant stop crying and jsut feel like im failing today. i know im gonna  be bashed but i hope between the bashers i could get some good help and hints on what to.

*edit*  thanks ladies for all your advice on what you did and ages.  I think i was just feeling really pressured from family and friends and being pregnant with baby number 2.  Iv writtin down what you ladies did and am gonna try some of them... not looking forward to the Naked idea BUT some of you used that and made progress....and im sure my daughter would love that best HAHAH.  i will continue to read and write down as others reply.  i think we all get down every once in a while and "growing up" isnt the problem.  when your father (lives across state) says he wont feel comfortable visiting  his grandchildren  until they walk and talk and potty trained. and calls once week to see how there doing it can be upsetting.  when your mom takes 2 year old for aweekend and says she used the potty no problem you just have to try harder it breaks your heart/pride and what little mojo a first time parent has. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Grow up an relax she won't go to high school in diapers. She will get it when she is ready in her own time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Try letting her run around with no panties on. I'm training my daughter right now and she will not have an accident but she does think she can pee in her underwear. Another thing that has helped us (so far, this is still a work in progress!) is not taking her and sitting her on the potty as much. The first time I tried people kept telling me to sit her on it every 15 minutes or whatnot and it got her sick of it. I ended up having to wait a few months for her to even be willing to try again. The past few days I take her every hour or every hour and a half. If I see her drinking a lot of liquids, I will take her 10 minutes after she finishes drinking. She's been doing very well so far.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
She just might not be ready and no amount of training will change that. I agree with a PP about not having her sit on the potty unless she is going.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IHeartDraven
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
First of all
Breathe
Secondly
Stop beating yourself up
Sounds like you're overly frustrated and that will not help you or her. Take a step back and stop listening to the criticism

I started potty trainin my son a little before his second bday. He was not ready and it was a miserable couple of weeks. We took a break..put the pull ups back on and worked on getting him used to the potty and bathroom but no pressure.

He potty trained in about 3 days when he was almost 3.

It will happen. Take a break then look for signs she's ready...staying dry consistantly overnight...telling you she needs to pee etc. when you start again clear your schedule for a few days an try to stay home. Make a big deal about getting rid of the diapers and make a chart for the bathroom so she can see how good she's doing. Praise good jobs but try to not get upset when accidents happen bc they will. Let her sit on the potty less time. 30 minutes is forever to a 2 year old. Take a few books...read a book and if no luck let her get up.

Good luck

You can do this. You're not a failure and you're also not the first mom to feel like you are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by Nancy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

A failer? 

Autumn19
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
my son was 3.5 before he was potty trained
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WendyJR
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

My 4yo still has accidents. We tried really hard with him to be trained between 2 and 3...well lets just say he wasn't having it. When we had most of our success with him, was when we relaxed. What worked best for him was giving him goals to work for. Everytime he peed he got a prze from the prize box (little toys i got for $1, books, stickers etc) I bought a crap ton of thomas trains, and everytime he pooped on the potty he got a train.  (yes i bribed him) we had a sticker chart as well. He also got a few bigger things for his train set (like if he went a week/month with no accidents.). 

We're working with DD right now she just turned two. We get to the potty 1/4 of the times she has to go, but i'm letting her go at her own pace. Good Luck!

KittyTussand
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM

thanks! it does make sence to to put her on it quite so often.  gonna try 10 min after she drinks for eats and maybe every hour or so.  Iv thought about letting her run around with nothing on and...i dont know it bugs me a bit. she runs around with out shirt or pants anyways should be to big a deal to go with out diaper/undies. but it might just be what she needs.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Try letting her run around with no panties on. I'm training my daughter right now and she will not have an accident but she does think she can pee in her underwear. Another thing that has helped us (so far, this is still a work in progress!) is not taking her and sitting her on the potty as much. The first time I tried people kept telling me to sit her on it every 15 minutes or whatnot and it got her sick of it. I ended up having to wait a few months for her to even be willing to try again. The past few days I take her every hour or every hour and a half. If I see her drinking a lot of liquids, I will take her 10 minutes after she finishes drinking. She's been doing very well so far.

CafeMom Tickers
jadsmummy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM
She its too young and isn't ready. lighten up. You're stressing her and yourself out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KittyTussand
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

she stays dry 4 nights a week usually. sometiems more sometimes less just depends on how much she drank that day.  She dosnt say she has to go potty but always tells us the minute she did go potty and wants a change.  and she throws fits sometimes and iv come to realise when i do diaper check and hse throws a fit she hasnt gone potty and is dry. SO i was kinda taking that as hints that she is ready.

i was hopping if i let her sit on it as much as she wanted it help with tantrums from when i want her to sit on it. but i could see how that would blow up and not work in my favor. 

thanks Heartdraven.  I just get upset somedays when i know she should be doing something and i have no clue how to help her do it.  We have made breakthrews since she learned sign language she can tell me when she is hungry or thirsty so tantrums have all but stopped but still wish she would use words.  I hear it all the time from family and friends somedays are just so hard.

Quoting IHeartDraven:

First of all
Breathe
Secondly
Stop beating yourself up
Sounds like you're overly frustrated and that will not help you or her. Take a step back and stop listening to the criticism

I started potty trainin my son a little before his second bday. He was not ready and it was a miserable couple of weeks. We took a break..put the pull ups back on and worked on getting him used to the potty and bathroom but no pressure.

He potty trained in about 3 days when he was almost 3.

It will happen. Take a break then look for signs she's ready...staying dry consistantly overnight...telling you she needs to pee etc. when you start again clear your schedule for a few days an try to stay home. Make a big deal about getting rid of the diapers and make a chart for the bathroom so she can see how good she's doing. Praise good jobs but try to not get upset when accidents happen bc they will. Let her sit on the potty less time. 30 minutes is forever to a 2 year old. Take a few books...read a book and if no luck let her get up.

Good luck

You can do this. You're not a failure and you're also not the first mom to feel like you are

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)