Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone else allergic to....*WARNING! owie pic in replies*

Adhesive? I'm allergic to latex as well. My skin and the adhesive become one in seconds and my skin just rips off. No band aids or medical tape for me! It just popped up in the last couple years.
I'm nervous about labor and delivery because I will need an IV. Anyone else have this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I'm allergic to the adhesive they use on everything as well....paper tape, the clear plastic tape, non-latex bandaids (Latex too, but that's a given because I'm allergic to latex).

ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yes. When I was doing my phlebotomy training, we had to do 100 sticks on each other. Me and one other girl couldn't use the bandaids, so we wrapped gauze around our arms instead.

risaspieces
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Where was this post a week ago?! I'm allergic to latex and adhesive and I just had my son on the 15th, my right hand and back ( I had an epidural ) are still swollen and raw. I delivered at our latex free hospital, but there wasn't another option for the adhesive. :( Hope you can find another option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brightstar28
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I'm allergic to adhesive.  I can't even use hypoallergenic or the paper tape.  I get MASSIVE blisters from it.  One time I injured my arm and needed stitches.  Instead of doing stitches, they used the adhesive to seal it up.  I had a SEVERE allergic reaction to THAT adhesive as well.  It was even worse because it was INSIDE the wound.  So it appears any kind of adhesive is a no go for me.  I've been like this since I was little.  Usually, if I HAVE to have some type of adhesive on, I just suck it up and deal with the blisters and itching.

CafeMom Tickers
Sanctimommy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My grandmother is allergic as well. They have a paper bandaid which they use on her IV's, etc when she goes to the hospitals.

GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

But adhesive is a broad term, they do have hypoallergic  types as well.  It's just the kind of thing you need to discuss before going in.  They ran some labs on me to see what all I reacted to and it was well worth the time and money spent!

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

It still has adhesive :(

Quoting GraceStrickland:

**sensitivity

Quoting GraceStrickland:

I have a latex semsitivity. They have silicone iv tubes and latex free bandages, just let know know before :)

lili_monkey
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Yup, I am also allergic to adhesives and latex :/

loving.life
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Yes i hate bandaids. I can wear them a few minutes and have mild reaction but longer time gets bad. Good luck with the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Can you go to the hospital you'll deliver at, and ask to sit down and test all their alternative bandages for people with allergies? Try them on your non dominate arm, and do it by just cutting strips off the bandages/tapes so that you aren't doing huge chunks. Maybe you won't react to one, or one you won't have as bad a retraction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
decembercherish
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

my mom she has to remind them to use medical paper tape.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I forgot to tell the nurse after she drew blood. That is from a lil ol band aid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN