Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone else allergic to....*WARNING! owie pic in replies*

Adhesive? I'm allergic to latex as well. My skin and the adhesive become one in seconds and my skin just rips off. No band aids or medical tape for me! It just popped up in the last couple years.
I'm nervous about labor and delivery because I will need an IV. Anyone else have this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Replies (41-49):
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I'm sensitive to adhesives, but not as badly. My skin does come off, but it takes awhile longer for it to happen. Whenever I get blood done I get that adhesive free band stuff. The IV stuff left a mark for a day or two, but it didn't take the skin off. With my second baby they used that IV tape stuff and paper tape to hold the gauze and tubing from moving.
Mipsy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:32 AM
I am. I had an AEEG a couple yrs ago and had to have tape on my head. We knew that tape ans band aids caused irritation but nothing too severe. My head blistered. It freaked my neurologist out. He said I need a medical alert bracelet for it and stay far away. I was in so much pain. *hugs* my son is allergic to it too which really sucks cuz he's hospitalized often
doulala
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Have you been working to deal with GBS prenatally?

Are you weighing risks of the IV in labor (and the antibiotics)?
   j/w-   I wouldn't do it, too risky.

little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM
They probably have precautions for people who are allergic. And band aids and medical tape have latex in them. Try the latex free kind.
doulala
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM

No--  whether you have gbs while in labor (maybe you won't), it is optional and worth learning about the risks with the IV/abx.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I tested positive for strep B so I have to

Quoting piwife:

You don't need an iv during labor.... that's a choice. I didn't know it with my first two. With my last I didn't have one

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem;
doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!     
~Barbara Harper

Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I'm allergic to those cloth type of band aids.  They'll leave scars on me.

mandi0913
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Yes I am also and I feared l&d for that reason also. I expressed my concerns to my nurse and she said she will use paper tape and if I even needed iv or anything that adhesive tape would be used to ask for paper tape instead. I was so relieved and havent had any problems since. So ask for PAPER TAPE and you will be all good. Gl
lightning918
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM
I'm allergic to certain adhesives depending on brand. It turns red and swells, sometimes blisters if I leave it on too long.
kidkrazyinAK
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I use this instead of bandages...you can ask most doctors and hospitals to use it on you. Take some with you just in case.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/COBAN-SelfAdherent-Wrap-2JCV9

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN