Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help me! (Budgeting, meal planning, etc)

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 39 Replies

Please don't bash me. I get $367 a month in food stamps for my son and myself. I've been wasteful of them, and I really want to change it. I don't know the first thing about budgeting, or meal planning, or cooking from scratch. If you women could help me to be wise with my fs and give me tips on cooking real meals and eating better, I would be so appreciative. Please help.

ETA Recipes would also be appreciated

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinento
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM

BUMP!

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

That's about $90 a week, a good amount, I feed a family of 4 on that amount some weeks. Consider meatless nights, that helps cut down costs. 

funmommy123
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM
If you go to www.allrecipes.com, they have a lot of good recipes. I always make the ones that has a lot of reviews. They even have a section for meals on a budget.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you live near an Aldi? Or Walmart?
grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

What do you eat for a typical breakfast/lunch/dinner?

FIREFOX1336
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My grandma used to make cheesy spaghetti for 5 kids when money was tight. I use wheel pasta to make it fun for kids, but its a box worth so a pound of pasta cooked as directed, one can tomato soup, one small can (7oz) tomato sauce in sauce pan heating add whatever spices you want (I avoid adding salt because all the ingredients come with salt in it, but I do garlic onion and pepper) then a pound of shredded cheddar cheese added slowly so it melts in smooth if its chunky you added too fast. Once noodles are done pour sauce over and mix. Dishes are a pain from all the cheese so scrub or soak what you can right away. But my kids both gobble it up.
Tinento
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

The thing is, is that I don't know how to cook. I'm on of those PA horror stories you hear about that spends all their fs on junk, processed, and boxed foods. I really wouldn't know where to start. Lol.

Quoting JulyBabies:

That's about $90 a week, a good amount, I feed a family of 4 on that amount some weeks. Consider meatless nights, that helps cut down costs. 

Tinento
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thank you, I'll definately check that out.

Quoting funmommy123:

If you go to www.allrecipes.com, they have a lot of good recipes. I always make the ones that has a lot of reviews. They even have a section for meals on a budget.

Tinento
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Breakfast is usually pancakes or some kind of bread, with eggs, and sometimes a meat (ham, bacon, sausage, etc.)

Luch really depends on what my son wants. Sandwiches, hot dogs and chili, fruit.

I struggle with dinner because I really don't know how to cook, and that's where most of my fs gets wasted. Frozen meals, pizza and crap like that.

Quoting grammarpolice:

What do you eat for a typical breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Tinento
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

That sounds easy and delicious. Thank you!

Quoting FIREFOX1336:

My grandma used to make cheesy spaghetti for 5 kids when money was tight. I use wheel pasta to make it fun for kids, but its a box worth so a pound of pasta cooked as directed, one can tomato soup, one small can (7oz) tomato sauce in sauce pan heating add whatever spices you want (I avoid adding salt because all the ingredients come with salt in it, but I do garlic onion and pepper) then a pound of shredded cheddar cheese added slowly so it melts in smooth if its chunky you added too fast. Once noodles are done pour sauce over and mix. Dishes are a pain from all the cheese so scrub or soak what you can right away. But my kids both gobble it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN