Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Adoptive mom of six, grandmother of 3

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am 58, & the daughter of a career Marine.  I can't tell you where I am from, but some of my favorites of the places I have lived  include Kentucky, Washington (state, not DC), Virginia, Hawaii and Germany.

My children are all adopted.  My oldest son passed away in 2009, but the rest are doing fine, at ages 17, 19, 22, 23, and 27.  I have a beautiful granddaughter 5 years old, who has a very good natured baby brother who is 7 months old.  I also have an extremely cute grandson, 22 months old, who will have a brother or sister in July.  My family is multiracial and my grandkids are all biracial.

I'm divorced and would love to find the love of my life, but my life is full, with my kids and grandkids.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Hi !! Welcome!!

BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Hiya. I have a 19yo daughter myself. No granbabies yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Welcome-

It sounds like you have a very loving family.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Hi there and welcome to the group! It's great to meet you. :)

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Welcome!  I'm so sorry for the loss of your oldest son.

Quoting ajdoma:

I am 58, & the daughter of a career Marine.  I can't tell you where I am from, but some of my favorites of the places I have lived  include Kentucky, Washington (state, not DC), Virginia, Hawaii and Germany.

My children are all adopted.  My oldest son passed away in 2009, but the rest are doing fine, at ages 17, 19, 22, 23, and 27.  I have a beautiful granddaughter 5 years old, who has a very good natured baby brother who is 7 months old.  I also have an extremely cute grandson, 22 months old, who will have a brother or sister in July.  My family is multiracial and my grandkids are all biracial.

I'm divorced and would love to find the love of my life, but my life is full, with my kids and grandkids.

TheBomb.Com1066
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Aw I want to adopt SO bad! I doubt I'll ever have the money for it though:(

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM
That's awesome! I love that you adopted!
Can I ask why you chose to adopt tho? If you don't mind?.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajdoma
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM

We were married in 1974, so infertility treatment was in the dark ages, then.  After we'd been trying for 18 months, we learned my husband was infertile, not just marginally infertile, but VERY infertile.  We went through various tests and surgeries and crap, thinking it migh help, only to find that the doctors only want to do the surgery to try to explain the infertility, but they couldn't do anything to change it.  Adoption was in the dark ages too.  We decided to try donor insemination, but it took years to be able to to it because people thought it was immoral! I finally got to try it after like six years.  I had one early miscarriage from it and that was it. We couldn't afford to keep doing it.  Finally, in 1983, we adopted our first baby.  Starting with our third, we adopted special needs kids.  Its still hard to deal with the fact that I haven't been able to give birth to a single baby, especially since we divorced when I was 45.  I wouldn't trade my kids, though, or the grandkids they have produced!

ajdoma
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Thank you.  It has been very difficult. We're raising my grandkids to know him.  The oldest one was almost two when he died and he loved her so we have lots of pictures to show her with him holding her.

ajdoma
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

There are lots of different ways to adopt, and they don't all cost a lot.  I'm not personally involved any more so I'm not real resourceful, but if you go to Adoption.com, I'm sure you could find some information.  They have boards by state, for one thing, and boards for special needs adoption, etc. Most of the people on them have adopted recently. There are lots of people doing Fost-adopt now, where a child who is expected to be free for adoption is placed as a foster child and then when they are cleared for adoption, they finalize.  There is some danger of the child not ending up being freed for adoption, unfortunately, but it works out in most cases.  Special needs adoptions are often not costly.  Our cheapest adoption was our first daughter, who was born with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia.  She needed a lot of intensive mothering, as well as medical care, but she is now a healthy young lady who isn't restricted by her birth defect at all. Sometimes, kids are classified as special needs because of race.  It just depends on the situation.  I hope you will look into it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)