Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Quick dental questions .... I'm losing it over here :)

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 6 Replies

How many x rays are used on three year olds?  And how often is honestly safest?  Is 6 images in one sitting too much for a three year old? 

My daughter is three and had digital x rays 8 months ago (around her third birthday) and now we are being told that she needs to have them again.  Another full set, which were 6 total images the first time.  I am such a worrier over x rays and the list goes on....  Any advice would be so so appreciated!  Thank you so much!

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
itsm3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM

honestly, i wouldn't worry about the xrays.  dd had a set done 6mos ago.  they did maybe 6 images. 

funhappymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Why are they doing another set? Is there a concern? Most insurances won't cover more than one a year unless there is a concern.

I don't think I'd want another set done either.

ms-vero
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I wouldn't worry, digital X-rays give out less than 1/10 of the radiation that normal X-rays give. But like someone else said, insurance only covers check up X-rays once a year. It is also strange that they took 6 X-rays. I work at a Dental office, and I have never taken an X-ray on a 3 yr old. Even in older kids, their mouth is so small I only take 4 X-rays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Normally they do bitewing xrays once a year.

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I would not be overly concerned about the x-rays, as another poster said.  And kudos for taking you're 3 yo to a dentist.  I've seen many parents who don't provide dental care until kids are much older, so sad.  They may see a problem with her secondary set of teeth, or the alignment.  I'd go and see what they are concerned about.

Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Quoting ms-vero:

I wouldn't worry, digital X-rays give out less than 1/10 of the radiation that normal X-rays give. But like someone else said, insurance only covers check up X-rays once a year. It is also strange that they took 6 X-rays. I work at a Dental office, and I have never taken an X-ray on a 3 yr old. Even in older kids, their mouth is so small I only take 4 X-rays.

I used to work in a dental office too - and I also rarely took more than 2-4 xrays. But digital do require less radiation so it's not terrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)