Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Parents of kindergarten kids. Edit**

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 168 Replies

I was just wondering how far you children have gotten this year with reading? Because we feel that our child may not be being taught enough in the reading department. We feel she isn't where she should be by this point in the year. So where are your children at with reading?

edit

I do work with her at home. I read to her everyday. On weekends when we have more time we read, we have her try to read beginner reader books to us. We work on writing sentences and her reading the, back to us. And she does great with those and spells almost everything right as well. Her problem is sounding out words and me and my husband both are working with her on this.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM

BUMP

christina0607
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
6 moms liked this

My youngest is in first, but I've had 3 kindergarteners.

Reading is going to be taught at home, by you. the teachers just don't have time to teach each kid to read. They will lay down the basics and then you will read with your child everyday. Thats how they will learn.

with all three of my kids it was the summer between K and first that they really flew with the reading. 

Also do you ahve sight word flash cards that you do often? That really helped. 

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM
DD is reading the stage 1 reading book by herself. she gets a reader sent home from school and has to read it with no problems before it can be returned and she hasnt kept one over 2 days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Quoting christina0607:

Reading is going to be taught at home, by you. the teachers just don't have time to teach each kid to read. They will lay down the basics and then you will read with your child everyday. Thats how they will learn.

with all three of my kids it was the summer between K and first that they really flew with the reading. 

We do read to them all the time at home. And I was taught to read in kindergarten. They have taught her sight words as school they call them thier brain words. No we don't have flash cards but we have beginning reading books that we work on her with. And my husband does not want her taught sight words anyway. He want he to be taught phonics and how to sound out words not just remember what they look like.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

DD is reading the stage 1 reading book by herself. she gets a reader sent home from school and has to read it with no problems before it can be returned and she hasnt kept one over 2 days.

Wow that's great. I wish my daughters school did that. They just want us to read to them. Which we do but that does not teach her how to read. 

christina0607
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting christina0607:

We do read to them all the time at home. And I was taught to read in kindergarten. They have taught her sight words as school they call them thier brain words. No we don't have flash cards but we have beginning reading books that we work on her with. And my husband does not want her taught sight words anyway. He want he to be taught phonics and how to sound out words not just remember what they look like.

There are lots of words that just don't follow any rules of phonics...which is why we teach our kids sight words. I don't know how they would pick them up without the help?

Well good luck. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM

BUMP!

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
We have been working on reading at home since she turned 4. The sight words thing is the easiest way and the way they learn in class here. School is to help them but they really need the same kind of help at home to really get it. If you are teaching them differently than they learn at school you will probably just confuse them. Did they go to preschool?

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

Wow that's great. I wish my daughters school did that. They just want us to read to them. Which we do but that does not teach her how to read. 

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM

We weren't taught reading in school until first grade, and I think the schools around here still don't teach reading in kindergarten.  I, however, could read before kindergarten, and my kindergartener has been reading since around 3.5.  I don't really know how effective schools are at teaching reading; I think it is something that is easier to teach at home.  

My daugther is enrolled in a virtual schools that uses the K12 curriculum.  They do teach a lot of phonics, but my daugther already knew it all.

I do not like the idea of teaching sight words before learning to read.  I get that some words don't really follow the rules and have to be memorized, but I think reading by sounding out should be taught first. Since I'm not familiar with sight words at all, I just looked up a list of them and most of the words on the list can be sounded out.  I'm not really seeing the point. 

happymama2D
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Honestly, my son is far beyond what they are learning. He can read level 2 books on his own. The teacher has acknowledged that there are several students in each class that are farther ahead, and they are going to try and set up a special group for them. He was just very interested in learning to read and it has come easily so far. He went to a summer reading program and they focused on sight words and the common sounds. They played a fun game called "sight word blast off" and other fun games. We read books at home with him a lot as well. Have you spoken with the teacher about your concerns? I do agree with a previous poster that sight words are essential, and the teacher will probably have a list of at least 25 that the students will need to know by the end of the year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN