Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kitten help!!! UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 24 Replies

Well, today i was about to go pick up my kids from school when I heard a cat meowing really loud from under my truck. I looked under the truck, and there was a calico kitten about 8-9 weeks old. Looked skinny, hungry, and was really friendly. I ran back inside and gave her some canned dog food, which was the only thing I had to give to her. I was hoping that she was gone by the time I came back with the kids, but no luck they all saw her and now want to keep her.  The thing is I have never been much of a cat person, yeah I like them and had one a long time ago but she was an older cat that I picked up from the streets who later on died from feline leukimia. It does not help that my husband does not like cats and I already have a rottweiler pup, plus I do not know the first thing in litter training a kitten. 

I really do not know what to do, my 5 year old has been asking for a kitten for awhile but my husband has always said no. I feel bad though, because since I was her age I always wanted a dog but my mother never let me have one. What if someone is looking for her?? Although she seems like nobody has taken care of her. Any advice ladies?!?!

Update: well I went to the store to buy some food for the kitty, I noticed another under the truck again and when I came back one more so now there are a total of 3 and now that I see them all I think they are much older than 8 weeks.  I am almost positive that these are kittens from our next door neighbors cat, which I had to feed while she was nursing bacuse the poor thing was so skinny and the woman was never there . I don't know what Im going to do now with all three they seem really hungry like they have not been fed in awhile. Should I just keep them or what???

Here's a pic

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM

yes let her be an outside baby - feed her daily (get kitten food - dry is fine.... but to fatten her up give her wet kitten too --- but eventually dry will be enough -- feed her kitten food till she is a good year old)  Put out a nice bedding for her - and don't worry about potty training -- she will grow up to love you just as much and stick to your home and be your outside pet.  Make sure the kids play with her and give her love -- bathe her ASAP and flea dip her if you find them on her -- and you need to de-worm her too - she should see a vet to make sure she is okay for the kids and not sick 

DomesticDoll
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Sad only 8 or 9 weeks old!! And you were hoping it would of been gone????? I know u said your not much of a cat person but you must have some sort of compassion for animals having a Rottweiler puppy- I would of tool it in until I could find a safe warm home for it!!!!! Oh gosh poor kitty!!! Where are you at? I will take it off your hands!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I would give in immediately and let the kids keep her...but mind you I am a pushover for cats.  ;)

I do agree with a previous poster though.  Get her to a vet if you decide to keep her.

Lvictorio4
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I did not mean it like that, I was hoping he was gone to its home. I love animals and she is in my home right now as we speak. I will take care of her until I find her home or maybe I will keep her.

Quoting Lvictorio4:

Well, today i was about to go pick up my kids from school when I heard a cat meowing really loud from under my truck. I looked under the truck, and there was a calico kitten about 8-9 weeks old. Looked skinny, hungry, and was really friendly. I ran back inside and gave her some canned dog food, which was the only thing I had to give to her. I was hoping that she was gone by the time I came back with the kids, but no luck they all saw her and now want to keep her.  The thing is I have never been much of a cat person, yeah I like them and had one a long time ago but she was an older cat that I picked up from the streets who later on died from feline leukimia. It does not help that my husband does not like cats and I already have a rottweiler pup, plus I do not know the first thing in litter training a kitten. 

I really do not know what to do, my 5 year old has been asking for a kitten for awhile but my husband has always said no. I feel bad though, because since I was her age I always wanted a dog but my mother never let me have one. What if someone is looking for her?? Although she seems like nobody has taken care of her. Any advice ladies?!?!

Lvictorio4
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

If i get my husband to say yes I will take her to the vet ASAP, I really would like to keep her is just that I am worried I will not do a good job as I have never had a kitten before

Quoting SterlingHeart:

yes let her be an outside baby - feed her daily (get kitten food - dry is fine.... but to fatten her up give her wet kitten too --- but eventually dry will be enough -- feed her kitten food till she is a good year old)  Put out a nice bedding for her - and don't worry about potty training -- she will grow up to love you just as much and stick to your home and be your outside pet.  Make sure the kids play with her and give her love -- bathe her ASAP and flea dip her if you find them on her -- and you need to de-worm her too - she should see a vet to make sure she is okay for the kids and not sick 

DomesticDoll
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Ah ha! Ok I understand now! What state are you in?

Quoting Lvictorio4:

I did not mean it like that, I was hoping he was gone to its home. I love animals and she is in my home right now as we speak. I will take care of her until I find her home or maybe I will keep her.

Quoting Lvictorio4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lvictorio4
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

My dog keeps chasing her I also hope he gets used to her...

SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

you need to stress to the kids - you guys are just helping her get well - they can't get attached till you know she isn't going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

you will be fine - cats are easy they do everything rather easy if you just feed and love them --- but seriously kitten wet food to fatten her up LOL 

Quoting Lvictorio4:

If i get my husband to say yes I will take her to the vet ASAP, I really would like to keep her is just that I am worried I will not do a good job as I have never had a kitten before

Quoting SterlingHeart:

SterlingHeart

"these ramblings courtesy of a mom over 40"

MommyFlood
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I wasn't an animal person until about 6 months ago. I know have two kittens. Litter training isn't hard, most just "know" what to do. But first thing is first, get her to a vet. Even if its just a mobile vet through the human society (we have those here, they super discount their prices) and then ask about a flea treatment OK for a kitten that young. You may have to supplement with kitten milk for a while, but once she gets some TLC she will become independent and much less maintenance than a dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lvictorio4
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Im in Colorado

Quoting DomesticDoll:

Ah ha! Ok I understand now! What state are you in?

Quoting Lvictorio4:

Quoting Lvictorio4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN