Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tubal Ligation (Post partum) help

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm wanting to hear from the ladies here who have had a tubal ligation post-partum and not during childbirth.

I got my TL yesterday morning and my doctor released me to go back to work on Monday.  My post-op isn't until next Friday so the bandages stay on.  How soon can I shower?  Or rather, how long did you wait to shower?  I was told not until 48 hours after surgery but I'm feeling really gross.  The bandage over the incision site is waterproof, so I should be good to go, right?

How long did it take for the pain to go away for you?  I'm getting terrible lower back pains associated with the gas they use, but I swear it feels like my incision is burning.  Did you experience that?  How long were you in pain?  What does the scar look like now?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

BUMP!

ashandmasysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I had mine in the hospital, but not until later in.the day after my son was born.(vaginal birth) I was allowed to shower 24 hours later as long as i didnt let the water hit my incision directly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Thank you.

How long did they make you keep the gauze on?  Mine won't be taken off until my post-op appt next Friday.

Quoting ashandmasysmom:

I had mine in the hospital, but not until later in.the day after my son was born.(vaginal birth) I was allowed to shower 24 hours later as long as i didnt let the water hit my incision directly.

Pooobaihr
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

**reading for info**

aydensXmommy
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I had mine after my C-section, so i don't have the same scarring you would. However, I was told I could shower the next day, just to keep direct water off of the area, just like the PP said. It want too difficult to take care of, and my bandages stayed on for three days (my stay in the hospital).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mainegirl
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

i had mine after my daughter turned 4. i remember washing my hair in the sink and then doing little bed baths till i was able to get a regular shower. i was in pain for a few days but then it got better.

nocalmegan
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I'm getting mine done march 5th. 7 weeks PP
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Had mine in march 2012. Ds had turned 5 in jan. I showered the next day like I was told I could. My shoulder hurt for a few days because of the gas but that was it. The bandages were taken off by the doctor 2 weeks later.
Pooobaihr
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm really glad you posted this. I plan on getting my tubes tied, clipped and burned. This is stuffs I gotta know!

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

So far it hasn't been that bad.  I'm achy like I was after childbirth, just not between my legs.  I have no idea what the incision looks like, but there is gauze over my belly button and a tiny incision to the left of it.  I'm a little bloated from the gas, but sitting with a heating pad on my back seems to help.

The pain is very manageable, just kind of annoying like a small paper cut or something.  Then again, I've been taking my pain medications regularly to stay ahead of any pain.  I can't lay on my sides and have to sleep on my back for now.

If you need any more info or have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will answer everything that I can :)

Quoting Pooobaihr:

**reading for info**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)