Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I'm curious if its a regional or just a familial difference? I was raised in California to call her mom but my mother was raised by southern born parents to call her mama. I'm raising ds in Tennessee and he says mama (and yes ma'am but dh put his foot down about ds saying y'all). So what about y'all? And why do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
megshepherd
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM

mine call me mommy or mama. I'm from ohio.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Trying to get her to say mama just because it's easier for her with the babbling, but I am MOM to my son, or MOMMY depending on how he's feeling, and as DD gets older, I will be MOM.

cbell918
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Ds changes it every other week lol at first it was mommy, then mom, and here lately I'm mama...
I'm also in TN and I grew up calling my mom "mom", but my step dad actually grew up (and still does) calling his mom "mother".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

LOL,hubby grew up in Germany and Colorado and didn't move to Ga until his mid 20's so the whole southern thing is still new to him but he gets a kick out of how I talk and loves that our daughter sounds like me.

Quoting AlohaTink:

Lol I've started saying it and picking up the accent but dh refuses to! I'm sitting here in my UT shirt and ds has a Tennessee titans shirt on but dh is the hold out in his San Diego padres hat :)

Quoting MrsApple:

I was born and raised in Georgia.I call my mom mother or momma.I'm also raising my daughter in Georgia and she calls me mom or mommy. (AND says Y'all,lol)

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Mom or Mommy...we're in MI
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxoDanicaxoxo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM
My 4 year old does this lol.

I'm mama and Dh is papa. Gp's are Nonno and Nonna. We are Italian.

Quoting LTryon:

I'm "mom"... But apparently I'm "and mom" to my 8 year old ds.lol he starts every conversation like that... Like he's continuing a thought, even if it's been a half hour since he's said anything.lol

Oh yeah, we're from Michigan.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Mom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
achapman
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I'm momma and we live in IL granted my son is only 15 months so it might change to mom as he matures.

elsie_may
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

if DD wants something its mommy, if shes mad it mom if she is whinny its mama....

Quoting AlohaTink:

I just thought of something lol ds never calls me mommy. Maybe cuz since he was born I've always referred to myself as mama?

Quoting elsie_may:

i am all 3 mom mommy and mama..

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN