Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you planning to put your parents in a nursing home?

I refuse to. I've been in some "nice" ones and I've been in some "bad" ones. Abuse happens in all of them. Don't be daft and think it doesn't or can't.

***Yes,I realize that some people have "no other choice" than to put their parents in a home.I'm not directing this at you.***

However, most do it because they can't work taking care of their elderly parents into their busy family schedules. It's a good thing your parents didn't feel the same way about you when YOU were helpless and dependent on them. 

If your parents were assholes...then do what you want. But if your parents loved you and did their best for you...why would you put them through this?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM
My Mom would most definitely not be going to a nursing home. I can do anything a CNA can do so there is no need for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
risaspieces
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM
My brother jokes with my parents and tells them that they better be nice to me because he'll be paying me to take of them. I will not put my parents or mil in a home, dh and I agreed to that prior to getting married and luckily he gets along with my family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

*giggle*

Quoting RLT2:

Yes, if they keep up their shit  >.>  lol

-If for any reason you feel an urge to correct my grammar, spelling, or punctuation, please suppress this urge. You are not important enough to me to spend time editing before I post.  I will just laugh at you-

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I doubt anyone plans that. I have no idea what circumstances will be one day. I'd hope they never have to go to one, but I cannot say.

My mom didn't expect her own mother to have severe RH, lose her right leg, and get dementia. She had no choice but to put her where she could get the 24/7 care she couldn't give herself.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Falls yes but also Alzheimer's can tough to handle at home. They can become violent, wander off. There are a lot of factrs that would go into my decision. Not to mention that caregivers (family or hired) can be abusive. It's not just an in-facility issue. I would never do that, but you hear stories on the news about those who do.

Quoting stacefaceninja:

Safer how? Do you mean like from a fall? I see your point, but I would just stay home and take care of them. They can just as easily fall at a home, and if they are being abused, they may be reluctant to report a fall. This could cause a whole shit storm of problems.

Thansk for answering!!!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I love my parents and joke with them all the time that I will be putting them away somewhere...where is to be determined by how well they treat me. Although I'm close to my mom, I am a Daddy's girl and keep reminding my mom she has some ground to make up. LOL!

But if they truly had an issue and I felt they would be safer in a facility, yes I would. Their needs come before my wants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baseballmom5416
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

nope..my mom took care of me and my 4 brothers and 4 sisters. so we are taking care of her..no nursing home for her..and with my dad we didnt put him in a nursing home either..

moonlitnitz
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I will never put my mother in a nursing home. She will live with me and i willl take care of her. My father on the other hand is my younger sisters problem. I have never met him in my life. We have only talked on the phone and computer.
WendyJR
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I'd take care of my parents but my inlaws would be put in a home or dh's brothers could take care of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM
No, but I also have no idea of knowing what their health concerns will be (like will it be normal aches and creaks or major issues that a trained nurse would have to care for), what our living situation will be, etc. My mom and dad are only in their early 50's so I have some time, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Yes, Alzheimer's is a cruel disease, and caring for a parent with it can be awful at home. It's a fulltime job. But it's not forever...I plan to quit working when my parents can no longer care for themselves.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Falls yes but also Alzheimer's can tough to handle at home. They can become violent, wander off. There are a lot of factrs that would go into my decision. Not to mention that caregivers (family or hired) can be abusive. It's not just an in-facility issue. I would never do that, but you hear stories on the news about those who do.

Quoting stacefaceninja:

Safer how? Do you mean like from a fall? I see your point, but I would just stay home and take care of them. They can just as easily fall at a home, and if they are being abused, they may be reluctant to report a fall. This could cause a whole shit storm of problems.

Thansk for answering!!!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I love my parents and joke with them all the time that I will be putting them away somewhere...where is to be determined by how well they treat me. Although I'm close to my mom, I am a Daddy's girl and keep reminding my mom she has some ground to make up. LOL!

But if they truly had an issue and I felt they would be safer in a facility, yes I would. Their needs come before my wants.

-If for any reason you feel an urge to correct my grammar, spelling, or punctuation, please suppress this urge. You are not important enough to me to spend time editing before I post.  I will just laugh at you-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN