Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you planning to put your parents in a nursing home?

I refuse to. I've been in some "nice" ones and I've been in some "bad" ones. Abuse happens in all of them. Don't be daft and think it doesn't or can't.

***Yes,I realize that some people have "no other choice" than to put their parents in a home.I'm not directing this at you.***

However, most do it because they can't work taking care of their elderly parents into their busy family schedules. It's a good thing your parents didn't feel the same way about you when YOU were helpless and dependent on them. 

If your parents were assholes...then do what you want. But if your parents loved you and did their best for you...why would you put them through this?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Replies (181-190):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM

not if I can avoid it. though I'm not sure I will have a choice in a few years.my mom has post polio. It is degerative... but not at least in her case life threatening.  her body will get weaker and weaker while her organs and brain continue to function just fine.

Teletubby836
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM

My Mom passed away rather suddenly in March 2011, at the age of 68. She did have a long term care insurance policy which she never got to use. We had a close family friend that had alzheimers disease and lived for years, that's when Mom got the policy. My Dad lives alone now and will be 80 this year and I hope the question of a nursing home never comes up. But if it does we would make sure that he is well taken care of and that we visit him daily. There are just some things that we as the children are not able to take care of, it doesn't mean you are heartless when they go to nursing home.

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM

My Friends dad was in a nice nursing home. It was $140K a year.  He chose it himself.

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM

My parents have a house which is well suited to hiring live in care. If they are menatally stable and physically frail, the downstairs of their waterfront home would easily convert to a 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen and laundry room and bathroom, along with a large living room.  Perfect for a young couple with one or two kids who wants to live in a million dollar house for free while earning a $1000-2000 or so a month for doing laundry house keeping and light meal prep.  

Both of my parents are in their early 80's and mentally sharp.  Physically my Dad is in GREAT shape, and my Mom is in good shape, but could sstand to lose some weight.

IF after I retire they need help, then I would move in!

kidlover2
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I would take my father in. I wouldn't take my mother in a bazillion years. I would visit her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM
If they ever develop medical issues, or it becomes their wish, yes i would. Till then, no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM

If I had no other choice, then yes.  But it would be a last resort.  I would rearrange my schedule as much as I could to keep my dad (my mother has already passed away) out of one.  Even if I needed to take an extended leave from work.

boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM

As rough as my relationship is with my parents, no I wouldn't. If it became a safety issue, my sisters and I would pay for private care, but they would still be living in their home, not a facility

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM

No.  As a Muslim it is my parents' right to be taken care of by me since they are old.  I am my father's only child but mom has three other children from different men.  I feel so sorry for elderly who are thrown away like trash by some grown children and how they may be abused or raped or scammed out of money.  How some children never bother to see their elderly dying parents except for once a year.  What goes around comes around.  These children that throw their parents in nursing homes and never come to see them or only want them to die so they can get their parents' money will have the same thing happen to them when they are old. 

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM
My mom yes because I'd end up killing her. My dad depends on what he needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)