Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't feed him & let him cry (7 month old)

Posted by   + Show Post
So yesterday was ds's 6 month checkup (he's late on it bcuz he was late to his 4 mo for shots), he's 7 & 1/2 months old. Anyway the two pediatricians that I LOVED have moved far away & we weren't seen until over an hour after my appt. The dr seemed rushed & I expressed how ds doesn't seem to sleep well at night lately (he had been waking 1-2 times to eat recently).
The dr told me, "Don't feed him. Feed him right before bed (I do) & if he wakes up let him cry. He does not need to eat at night nutritionally speaking"

Wtf? He's a baby & he gets hungry I'm not going to starve my child.
Btw, he's 19lbs & 29in long he's 50th percentile for weight & 75th for height so he's not overweight
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (261-270):
azeventdiva
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I personally co-sleep and dream nurse. Works well for me, but that's just me. I would let baby go like Dr is suggesting.

And, I have 4 kids, but my son was a big one as he got older. He was 8 lbs 10 oz at birth and up to 20 lbs by 6mos. He was like a little bowling ball LOL. He nursed a LOT, but I never stopped him, and now he's a TALL slender 3 yo in the 90th percentile for height & weight. But, not overweight at all, just tall.

Athman97
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Do what you think is best! Your son shoud still be waking to eat. My 2yo still wakes to nurse at night. Crying it out is a horrible method. Studies have shown this. Find a new Ped!

la-cosa-nostra
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I got the same advice when my dd was a baby.
tomsmom13
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

In what ever way you are feeding your little one, at that age, I know with my three, they ate when they needed to.  Even in the middle of the night.  They do that for the first year until they are weaned, usually. 

Especially as they are having growth, they will need more.  Your little one is too young not to feed in the middle of the night, if hungry.

I usually went through certain steps to make sure,  hold for a few mins. see if just wanted to be held, check for wet or mess diaper.  Maybe just wanted a binky, my third is the only one who really likes the binky for comfort.   If hungry at 7 months -eat...

A good Pedi will and shld take time and ask questions, understand childs history.  How much is he eating each time, etc.

Good luck...

ChristyG2012
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM
So does Lexie sometime. But she doesn't need it...

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

He drinks the entire bottle

Quoting ChristyG2012:

Babies (after a few months) don't require night feedings. They can make it throughout the night (nutritionally speaking) w/o eating. In my experience, my baby seeks comfort when she wakes at night. And she is comforted by the bottle. For most of her life she's been able to sleep straight through the night w/o a hitch, but recently she's going thru a growth spurt & teething like crazy so sometimes she won't go back to sleep w/o comfort (her bottle). She generally takes a few pulls and passes back out...meaning it wasn't the hunger.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
My sons old ped tolde he was to heavy 20 pounds at 6 months. I need to not feed him as much as I was. He got mad I put him on solids at 4 months but he needed something more then formula. He was eating every three hours 8oz and still hungry. I just said ok and did what I wanted.
excitedmama2013
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM

ok, i am soon to be a first time mama. and i've heard that very same advice before " dont feed them everytime they cry, just let them cry" what is the best advice for me? because i agree with you, and all the other mama's why are you supposed to just let them cry? if they're hungry they're hungry right? i am due in april. and i would love some advice on this topic so i know what to do.

shell3m
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

that's so effin stupid!

Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Well no don't feed them everytime they cry. But if you KNOW they're hungry, yes feed them.

Quoting excitedmama2013:

ok, i am soon to be a first time mama. and i've heard that very same advice before " dont feed them everytime they cry, just let them cry" what is the best advice for me? because i agree with you, and all the other mama's why are you supposed to just let them cry? if they're hungry they're hungry right? i am due in april. and i would love some advice on this topic so i know what to do.

Ecobabyz
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Look for a new pediatrician. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN